Friday, December 15, 2017
Wednesday, December 13, 2017
Tuesday, December 12, 2017
Monday, December 11, 2017
But we are New York. [I can proudly say that from New Jersey--New York is our city, too.] And we won't back down.
Dan and Punch got our tree tonight over at the Montclair Beach Club, where the parking lot gives way to Fred's Christmas Trees every year. Figgy grumbling about alternate Christmas plans instead of driving 450 miles to Maine with us, her calm, cool family--not.. I feel sad when I hear that.
I did some gift shopping--at Pink Bungalow on Bellevue Avenue. If you show the email they sent on your phone, save $25 on purchase of $125 or more. I got several gifts for teachers and friends and Figgy and some beautiful glittery Caspari ribbon for wrapping packages. I also met my friend Anne for coffee at Marcel Kitchen on Valley. Good to connect quietly and sip coffee even as the holiday shopping and commitments loom ahead.
Good night, must rest. Dan flies to Seattle early in the morning to work at holiday party there!
Sunday, December 10, 2017
- Take a seat at the table and be still. Been trying not to eat standing up. When I pull up a chair, turn off the radio talk show or Christmas music and definitely don't eat on the couch in front of the TV, I am more accountable to myself and I eat less.
- Do not buy store-bought goodies. It's hard in the face of those peppermint fudge sandwich cookies, Italian Baci candy wrapped in blue and silver foil, loaded Christmas bark, eggnog ice cream, mini mousse cakes. For the most part, I left them behind. Except: 99 cent bag of wrapped mini dark chocolate PB cups from Trader Joe's. I bought myself a different kind of treat: a Christmas cactus to plant in my Dad's pretty yellow planter. It was $2.99.
- Go fishing. Thanks to my friend and nutrition coach Rachael, this was at the top of my list. I need protein to stabilize and not go crazy grabbing sweets. I got smoked mackerel and lox.
- Focus on the words, not the onion dip. This lesson has taken a lifetime to learn, and I'm still learning. Ever since girlhood, I've been excited about the treats at events--the Cheez Doodles at the Brownies Father/Daughter Dance, the cupcakes at a Saint Mary's bake sale, the donuts my uncle brought, the bakery birthday cakes for Dad's Aunt Tessie's bday. Last night, I tried to focus on the conversations with people, not the chips and dip and layer cake. I was successful until around 11:30. I probably should have gone home [Dan and I had walked to our friends', just four houses away], but we stayed to talk until 2 a.m. Simply put, I needed fuel to remain alert and awake. I could have brought coffee, I guess.....other people were drinking goblets of wine until the wee hours.
- Eat Ezekiel toast and almond butter. I keep the sprouted grain kind in the freezer. It keeps your blood sugar level; no white-bread rise and fall. I make sure I have almond butter or good PB.
*I hardly ever skip a day of posting here, but we got back from the party after 2 a.m. So this is Day 13 of [again] trying to eat more healthfully.