Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Channeling Oscar Madison

Remember the messy one--played by Jack Klugman--in The Odd Couple TV series? Back in my twenties, I used to put on an old tattered lavender crewneck sweatshirt when working on a writing deadline, and joke with Sis that I looked like Oscar Madison. She laughed. But Oscar was often on deadline too, as a sportswriter :)

Tonight I don't have my lavender sweatshirt, but I am fully in Oscar Madison mode. I feel messy, grungy, shaggy. I could easily have old food, cigar butts and wrappers strewn around me, dirty socks too--the kind of stuff that would make Felix furious. I don't have that stuff, but I feel like I might as well.

I like it much better when I dress up for work at home, with makeup, lively colors [orange, pink, turquoise], a skirt, jewelry, heels and a scarf or other pretty accessory. Right now, my hair is dirty and I have flipflops on. How completely unglamorous.

So dressing up is exactly what I plan to do tomorrow. Fashion is my arsenal in an uncertain world.

2 comments:

  1. I've always admired your sense of fun fashion I've always fought the slobby fight. And, when I'm home, I often have to remind myself to get out of my PJs. These days, I at least try to make sure I dress up a bit with makeup when I head the "the City"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim. Yes, I definitely take myself more seriously when I get dressed to do my work...but you have been so successful....PJs at home or not :) alice

    ReplyDelete