Search This Blog

Friday, July 23, 2010

Angels in America

On my way out of the hospital tonight, I stopped in the chapel in the lobby. It's small, empty and lonely, and built to please four different faiths, from Catholicism to Judaism. [To tell you the truth, I'm unclear on the other two--Episcopalian and not sure what else? The little altars seemed pretty similar. I know I was at the right one because I saw Jesus on the cross and motifs of wheat and grapes, symbolizing bread and wine.]

There was a sheet of lined paper on the wall, to write down names of people to pray for--underneath, a slot to pay for the prayers. What is this, putting prayer on the same level as bowling for dollars? Can you buy peace and good health? Even though Catholic churches have metal money boxes under the candles you light for special intentions, seeing this in a hospital turned me off--either pray for my Dad or don't, but do you have to put a price on it? That doesn't seem very graceful.

Mothers
As I prayed at 10 P.M. in the ordinary chair [no kneeler to sink into], thoughts of my mother and my father's mother pressed into my mind. I thought of their faith, and how grateful I was that they passed that onto me. I have something to hold onto. My mother said novenas sometimes, and my grandma brought us back delicate sterling silver rosary beads from her trip to Rome.

All I did was think of them and say Hail Marys and Our Fathers. Dad is doing pretty well. H. went to see him this morning, while I worked most of the day and evening. Dad said the doctors told him that the kidney function is improving. I talked to tonight's nurse, a pretty young brunette named Diana, in the dim light and she told me about a new prescription.

Angels [the word is interchangeable with mothers sometimes and in some ways, right?]
Sitting in Dad's third floor room by his bed tonight--chatting, asking about his day and how he felt, standing to lean over and give him water from a plastic cup with a straw--I kept remembering Angels in America, and the angel that descends above the dying character's bed with a flutter of giant, realistic wings. It was scary and dramatic. To see that on a Broadway stage with H. at my side is an image I will never, ever forget. [Emma Thompson, above, was also gripping in the TV version.] Dad says he's been having nightmares.

I am tired and need to get some rest. My knee is still really smarting from my Cape Cod fall in the dark a week ago. It stings like the dickens. I better put some Neosporin with Pain Relief on. It is hard to care for ourselves when we wish we could be by someone else's side all day. The hospital is a lonely place, for big and small. And it really saddens me that Dad started out in diapers as a baby and is in them again.

Is there no dignity in life?

6 comments:

  1. That is wonderful news that Uncle J's kidney function is improving! I guess you don't have to pay $$$ for prayers to work. Did any of the other altars have that slot, I wonder? Seriously, these past few years and what our family has been through, have reminded me how to pray and refreshed my Catholicness, for better or worse. I think it helps, for me anyway, to have faith in something bigger than we are. BTW, I think I still have my silver, blessed-by-the-pope, rosary beads that Nona brought back from Rome that time – buried somewhere in the bottom of my jewelry box. Love, Linda

    P.S. Will pray for continued improvement for Uncle J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda...thanks for note...it was so good to talk to you yesterday...yes,those rosary beads are somewhere in my possession too..i had them closer before the tree fell but now I've lost track and it may be eons before i finally unearth them again from the boxes....isn't that sweet and meaningful that grandma brought back those silver beads for all four granddaughters? i wonderful if that means the boys--JJ and Will-got squat? or masculine rosary beads? have to ask Will. love, alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Linda, no the individual altars did not have the money slots--but will examine more closely. Lord knows I like diversions on my trips to the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nona loved those boys. I bet she brought them masculine rosaries.
    Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love thinking about your Nona picking out special rosaries for you all while in Rome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, she was a good grandma...though Linda remembers her differently than i do, because as a young girl, she shared a two-family house with her :) iwas very sad when she died when i was in fifth grade. love alice

    ReplyDelete