Search This Blog

Monday, December 27, 2010

Snowbound with Jackie's Cook

This is a photo from Jackie's earlier life, prior to meeting Marta--but I love the glimpse of this family scene.
Of course I could have gone out today. I usually do, to get exercise in the cold fresh air. But nope, except for ducking out with Sug several times so she could do her business, I stayed inside John's house, napping, visiting, listening to music, watching H. make bread and soup for supper, and reading. Talking on the phone, too, to check in with Dad, Sis, Moey. Texting my friend Anne. Chatting with H.'s brothers around the old farmhouse table about the landmarks here in Belfast, Maine that appear in the classic movie Peyton Place. Eating one too many Turtle Bars, I'm afraid.

John and Leah have nice cookbooks I love to read. Today I've been absorbed in Cooking for Madam: Recipes and Reminiscences from the Home of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, by Marta Sgubin, governess for Caroline and JFK Jr. and later, cook for the family.

I love reading all things Kennedy, and this book is peppered with references to family traditions and favorite dishes. The recipes sound good, too. Diana Vreeland loved Marta's Shepherd's Pie so much that she requested it when coming for dinner.

I'm cooking dinner one night here, and maybe I will make one of Marta's recipes. Here's the amazon link to the book, published in 1998 with a cover price of $30: http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Madam-Recipes-Reminiscences-Jacqueline/dp/0684850052/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1293507120&sr=1-1.

Good night. Drifting off on a sack of flour and a puff of sugar dust.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a nice relaxing time. Good for you... you deserve it. Things will be back to normal before you know it. Have a great day. Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete