|One of the cool Art Deco tiles on the wall around the Spring Lake swimming pool*.|
Oh, to drink in the Jersey Shore again, in all its glory!!!! To smell the salt and the marsh and see the long stone jetties and colorful beach umbrellas. To pin a badge on my shirt and unfurl the first big towel of the summer.
The Spring Lake Five Mile Run was fun. The loop was so pretty--first mile by the ocean/boardwalk and through the majestic entrance to the town; then by the lake, with a cool breeze and two glorious white egrets taking flight. Also down the main street in town with cute shops [clothing, chocolate, dance clothes], by beachy Victorian homes with well-tended flowers, by a second lake with a second cool breeze and then the final stretch by the boards again. Best of all, it was flat, which made it easier. I completed it in 1 hour and 30 minutes. I expected to do 20-minute miles, but I did 18-minute ones instead. H. did it in 1 hour 13 minutes. Like I said, we're slow. Slow, but proud. Patsy, Andy, Arin, Chris, Tracy, Barb, Lori, John, Rebecca & Co. really kicked butt. They were way, way, way fast.
- Springsteen's "Born to Run" blaring from the speakers at the starting line. Inspiring and cool.
- "Theme from Rocky" playing at another point.
- Cups of water every mile. I think it helped to stay hydrated.
- Cute kids with water guns asking if you wanted to get sprayed. [I didn't.]
- Huge crowd--over 8,000--so even if you were slow, you were not alone. I was with many walkers, doing my low-stress jog.
- Then....brunch at Patsy and Andy's lovely Spring Lake home, including scones from The Scone Pony....yum....I tasted the chocolate-chip and lemon-poppy ones...iced coffee, mimosas, Bloody Marys.....homemade crumb cake brought by a couple of boot campers.
- Beach in the afternoon! I played paddle ball with young Will, took a walk in the waves, dozed on a chair. Got a sunburn despite the sunscreen.
- Boardwalk scene--young "special police" officers in polo shirts on bikes, benches, kids dragging boogie boards, freckle-faced boys, the smell of hot fries and a line for the ladies' room.
- Hoffman's for ice cream. [H. got low-carb vanilla with mixed nuts on top and I got chocolate peanut butter.] And we met our sweet friends there--they live in the area.
- Barbecue! Sweet white corn, top dogs hot off the grill, nestled in fresh buns--a Memorial Day Weekend must.
- Great company. Loved talking and laughing with the friends gathered around the table.
- Ride home on the Garden State Parkway, singing to songs on the radio under a sky changing from twilight to darkness.
*Image from fadingad.com.
- The five-mile run, plus walk at least a mile to get there and back, and walk in waves.
- Nice cool shower with Dove soap.
- Lots of ice water.
- Removed self from lime tortilla chip zone when necessary.
- Texted someone for support.
- Calmly spoke my mind.