Search This Blog

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Head for the Hills

School is closed tomorrow for Columbus Day, and my friend Elly cooked up an overnight getaway to an Appalachian Mountain Club [AMC] lodge in Blairstown, NJ, Delaware Water Gap area. It's a brief girls' trip, the price is right, and Elly even had us all sign on for meals for the two days, since there's a kitchen.

In my ongoing effort to take the Private Benjamin advice to bake dinners, not sweets, I made a cookinglight.com recipe for spinach quiche with smoked Gouda, and used whole-grain pastry flour in the crust. As I sauteed the greens, I thought--it does feel pretty good to be making something nutritious rather than giant chocolate-chip cookies, even though they might be loaded with toasted coconut, the finest dark chocolate chunks and sweet butter, and filling my heart with joy. I am a dessert writer and baker from way back when, and this fetish/hobby/love/passion is not going to retreat gracefully and without a fight. I will have to work at it, baby step by baby step.

Maybe change really is possible, and healthy foods can be the norm comin' from my oven, sweets the exception. I secretly hope this change will show up in clearer skin and bouncier hair, not to mention a better body and longer life.

Right now I have to find my sleeping bag and throw some hiking clothes into my backpack.

Yesterday was a rough ride with sugar consumption, and as I often do when I go away, I've packed my journal and good intentions to contemplate how I can improve my life and my health and my work. Removing oneself from one's environment allows for perspective [if one can resist just using the free time to nap and read a novel].

Two friends are coming back tomorrow, the other three of us Tuesday morning. Short but sweet.

I'm assuming I can blog from there.

Happy Sunday.

TCOY
  1. Made that quiche.



No comments:

Post a Comment