Search This Blog

Friday, December 28, 2012

Go West--Key West

It's late and I'm tired, but want to jot some notes before I forget.
  • Key Lime Pie Bar--a small slice of heaven dipped in chocolate, put on a stick and frozen. OMG. I have heard about these up North. So good. I got one while H. and Fig went snorkeling on a boat out of John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park. I chose to stay behind, wade among the coral a little and lie on the beach. I snorkeled on our honeymoon in Hawaii, almost 22 years ago, but even then I was afraid I couldn't breathe with that mouthpiece on. They both loved it.
  • Key Lime Freeze. After this, I promise to stop talking about key lime--for tonight at least. But we went to the original Mrs. Mac's Kitchen [est. 1976] on Overseas Highway in Key Largo. Our friend Celia--whom we met for lunch with her family in Florida Wednesday--told us she had read raves about a key lime milkshake. Well, there was the Key Lime Freeze on the menu--an impossibly delicious milkshake served in that tall silver cup. We shared it three ways. It was SOOOOOOOO good. I didn't like the dinner food nearly as much--the lobster bites appetizer was $14.95, greasy and not very lobstery. But H. said his crab cakes and baked potato were good.
  • Charlotte's Story by Charlotte Arpin Niedhauk. I bought this at the Pennekamp Gift Shop b/c I didn't have any good books to read. It is Charlotte's story of living on an isolated Florida Key [no electricity, running water, etc.] with her husband in the mid 1930s, until the Labor Day hurricane of 1935.
  • Duval Street in Key West. We arrived here around 9 o'clock tonight. H.'s brother Michael had sent us a manila envelope before Christmas that said MERRY CHRISTMAS! and a great new year!! Do not open until you are on Duval Street Key West. So we did. Inside were three sealed plastic envelopes, each with a nice $10 bill inside. H.'s said Have one on me.... Mine said Alice....Must use immediately and Figgy's said Get a big tattoo!!! Michael is so creative and thoughtful. H. tried reaching him up in Maine to thank him, but he was out for weekly poker night. So H. texted him and sent a photo of the street sign.
TCOY
  1. Rested and read on beach. Felt good.
  2. Stocked up on bottled waters [at the 24-hour Walgreens on Duval Street] to put in mini fridge.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you got to have a key lime freeze!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celia, thank you for the hint and I wish you were there. xo alice

    ReplyDelete