Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A Beautiful Day in Tennessee

Time for another photo essay, b/c I'm packin' up the cast-iron skillet and cornbread mix we received and leavin' my hotel with my luggage in the morning. Blue Moon Chattanooga River Cruise, lunch and aquarium and then flight home @ 4:01 P.M.

I was struck by the beauty and history I saw today. And for some reason I just kept thinking of Al Gore calling this "the great state of Tennessee." There truly is such pride and honor here.
A few of us checked out the Chattanooga Bicycle Transit System. It was great! We went through Coolidge Park and by the Bluff View Art District. I did walk up a few big hills, I won't lie.

The cost is $75 for annual membership and $6 for 24-hour access pass. Each bike has a bell, sturdy kickstand that keeps the bike upright and chain guard so you can wear dress pants or skirts. I love being on a bike.

Deck of the old Delta Queen river boat.
We drove to the Cookie Jar Cafe in Dunlap for lunch. Go for the million-dollar view and to see the huge cookie jar collection. The rolls are also soft and good and I liked talking to an older Tennessee couple who showed us how to eat cornbread and buttermilk. Crumble the cornbread, put it in a glass of buttermilk and eat with a spoon. I didn't, but still liked hearing about it. Did order a tall glass of buttermilk.
View of gorgeous Sequatchie Valley.
The Valley again--with dairy farm.
I'm very picky--and well-versed--about my pie, so I didn't love the crust--and feel sacrilegious saying that in pie country. But I like the look of these chocolate pies with meringue tops. I especially like how they scatter chocolate chips to ID this one and butterscotch chips on the butterscotch one.


Look at these butter cookies and meringues at Rembrandt's Coffee House in the Bluff View Art District.
Carson Camp of the Dunlap Coke Ovens Museum. I liked learning about the history of coal-mining at this camp that operated from around 1902 to 1927. What hard workers those miners were. What long, sooty, strenuous days. Both of Carson's grandfathers mined here; one died from black lung at age 33. I applaud Carson and his wife and volunteers embracing and honoring what could be forgotten history.
TCOY
  1. Fresh air, sunshine and biking.
  2. At River Gallery in Bluff View Art District, bought a soft, pretty and hip scarf by an artist named Jen Swearington--wearable art. Check jennythreads.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment