Search This Blog

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Leaving Maine in the Rearview Mirror

H., Fig and me after Leah's birthday supper at Young's Lobster Pound in Belfast.
Tomorrow morning we leave Maine, a week after we arrived. We plan to leave by 10 A.M., which should get us home to Montclair by about 7 P.M. or sooner.

It was rainy today, but still lovely. H., Fig and I drove to Camden, a storybook village with a seaside cove and adorable shops. I took some pictures, and had a decadent from-scratch treat at Boynton-McKay--molasses cookies sandwiched with orange buttercream. OMG, so delicious. Cost: $2.41 with tax. The cookies were crackly on top, buttery, soft....it's a good thing I don't live near the bakeries up here...they're incomparable. Fantasy after-school cookie-jar snacks.

I dipped some strawberries in melted dark chocolate [made a big platter, and they all disappeared] b/c being vegan, Fig couldn't have Leah's bday cake tonight but she can have fruit and chocolate [as long it's not milk chocolate]. We celebrated at Young's Lobster Pound in Belfast and my mother-in-law, Mary, made a carrot cake to serve after the lobster rolls, lobster tails, lobster salads, green salad and potato salad. The gathering was nourishing, literally and figuratively.

Then I went with my sister-in-law Therese and her mom, Bette, visiting from Ithaca, to see the film "20 Feet from Stardom" at Mike and Therese's movie theater, the Colonial. Intriguing documentary about backup singers from the 1960s.....

Back to reality tomorrow.....with an overflowing pocketful of beauty.

Some snaps:

My dream window boxes--heavy on the pinks--at Jo Ellen Designs on Main Street in Camden.
The cheerful boxes at The Right Stuff, Camden.




Cousins, left to right: Izzy, Figgy, Leah, Will, Taylor and Kyle. [Missing: Chris, Matt, Mariah and Anna, four of the older cousins.]
Six siblings, from left: H., Pat, Mike, Eileen, Dave and John.

The Smiling Cow store, a Camden landmark since 1940.
 
 
The inimitable Kyle. He makes me smile.




Good night to you.

TCOY
  1. I laughed a lot today.
  2. Ducked in out of the rain into Brambles, a garden shop on Main Street in Belfast, and bought pretty flowering plant to put in my sun-room office at home--to soften the blow of leaving Maine and returning to New Jersey. To bring some Maine with me. Also went into Vinolio for blood orange olive oil.



2 comments:

  1. I love the picture of the three of you. But all are nice. Have a safe trip home. Love, Lin

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Lin. i will give you a call soon and Judi too. love xoxo alice

    ReplyDelete