Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Island Style

I like these but you have to be the right kind of man to carry them off.

Reblogging this photo to point out my strawberry-motif Lilly Pulitzer skirt. I think it's 10 years old, and it's size 16. They don't seem to make them in those bigger sizes anymore. I've had it patched three times. "I think it's too old," the nice man at the dry cleaner said last week. "No, I want to have it until it's a hundred years old," I said. He gracefully took it in for another patch.

My iPhone died in Murray's Toggery Shop on Main Street, so I didn't have a chance to take and post more Nantucket photos yesterday. We were on the island from noon to 8:30 P.M., when we caught the fast ferry back.

By the time we got back to Wonderstrand Way, we were really tired from all that island exploring. We all slept almost 12 hours.

More Nantucket notes:
  • Color. Color. COLOR. Young men [late teens] in aquamarine or teal button-downs, over crisp preppy shorts. Women in yellows, pinks and aquas, little girls in Lilly dresses with pink clover necklaces and pretty purple nail polish. Three young brothers playing on the lawn at the White Elephant, in whale-motif shorts with striped button-down shirts. Two small brothers at the playground by the beach at 8 P.M. in pressed tailored shirts and navy shorts dotted with tiny embroidered red lobsters, their slender mom taking a video of them on her iPhone.
  • Island hair. Nantucket hair. How to explain it? The willowy salesgirl in the Lilly store--long, cornsilk-blonde perfection and a maxi dress in blue and white anchor pattern to boot. Men of all ages with hair just the right length--long enough to be swept to the side, somehow saying I am well-to-do, I know how to live, I like this seaside life. And my personal favorite, the mom from Ohio sitting on a bench with her family when we got talking about our dogs. Her hair was so pretty and I told her so--it was piled up on her head, but the part that was not secured on top was in beautifully loose, long curls, as though she had taken a curling wand to them after the bun was up.
  • Red. Nantucket Red. CHECK THIS LINK. I got into the Murray's Toggery Shop--dating to 1945 on the island--after 6. I've looked at the website closely from home, but I loved being there in person. Had to hold Sug in my arms [store rule], so it was a little hard to navigate the racks, but I managed. I got H., Fig and Sug gifts from the Nantucket Red collection--so that H. and Fig remember our journies to the island, and so that Sug looks stylish in the winter. They had a new pet fleece! Size XS, $20. I got Figgy a blanket to take to her dorm. I like the idea of a gift that can keep her warm and cozy when she's not living at home. And I got H. a pair of boxers. I love these gifts.
  • Refreshments. Espresso, frozen Red Bull, mochas, fish tacos. An excellent Passion Margarita with a spicy kick, from the White Elephant. The Juice Bar, with lines out the door in the evening, so I didn't get to sample the ice cream or smoothies. Very nice restaurants, though we couldn't go, b/c of Sug. Envied two women at White Elephant bar, twirling pasta from a big bowl. We had to stay outside on the grass but were grateful to get a drink.
Gotta go. Anne and Nikki may be swinging by to pick me up for the beach.






No comments:

Post a Comment