Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Nantucket Notes

Hi from the Nantucket Atheneum, the public library on Nantucket. We caught the 11 A.M. fast ferry out of Hyannis--costs $50 round trip on Monday through Friday, and takes only about an hour. That's a first for us. We've otherwise taken the slow boat. I haven't had much luck blogging from my iPhone, with its tiny screen, so I popped in here to blog at one of the public computers on the second floor. I love Nantucket. The shops, the window boxes, the old pharmacy with old-fashioned lunch counter. [H. got an egg salad sandwich and a glass of milk; I got a tuna melt on rye. Total charge: $13.60, very reasonable for Nantucket.] The style. I love the style. The fashions. The colors. The crisp shorts, shirts and shoes the men wear. The Lilly Pulitzer dresses and bags the women have. Oh, how lovely it would be to spend a whole summer here, to just immerse oneself in the beauty. This library is full of historical stuff. Wish I had more time to explore. H. saw a letter from Benjamin Franklin. I saw scrimshaw and old busts and cool ship paintings. The air on the island is so relaxing. Just want to fill my lungs--or a bottle, cup or beach hat--and breathe it in forever. We brought Sug with us because we didn't want to leave her alone in the North Eastham house from 8:45 A.M. to 9:30 P.M. But that means we all have to take turns watching her so we can go into stores, etc. Fig and Olivia watched her when we ate at the pharmacy. I'd love to write more, but my turn--an hour of H. watching Sug--is almost up. And I definitely have to get back into In the Pink, the big Lilly Pulitzer store. I ducked in briefly before. Have a good summer day. Did I mention that Figgy's move-in day for freshman year at Parsons is Thursday, August 15, four days after we return from the Cape? I keep touching and kissing her if she doesn't swat me away. If I can get away with it. Touching her bun, her chin. TCOY 1. Granola for breakfast--Purely Elizabeth Pumpkin Fig, made with quinoa. 2. Breathing fresh air. 3. Color shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment