Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Doing Dishes

As I scrubbed, I held onto the sponge--and the faith that Figgy will find a way to pursue her talent, not lose her way. This is one of her fashion illustrations from last year, but I love it.
I loved doing dishes and scrubbing the grungy stovetop tonight while H. did homework with Punch, first in the breakfast nook and later on the living room couch. When he is doing something for our family, I can cheerfully soldier on. He checked "trick word" spellings [cat, dog, I, like, etc.] with a strong-willed kindergartner and I fought cooked-on grease.

I had the mental space and physical energy to get to the bottom of those dishes, skillets, pots and pans. I had a new sponge, a wintry liquid dish soap from Williams-Sonoma and a will to get it done. It made a huge difference that I didn't have to do the homework battle and then do the dishes, as is often the case when H. is busy working into the evening.

I also felt renewed and energetic, I think, because Figgy has started working four afternoons a week watching a nice young boy on our block. It's about 10 hours total more or less, so we still want her to get another part-time job. [She has walked into 15 stores and eateries in town since Friday to inquire, at our urging.] But I also signed her up for figure drawing at the Montclair Art Museum, a three-hour class on Thursday nights that starts next week. I don't want her to vegetate too much without using her skills.

Now, to bed early and to work tomorrow.

Good night.

TCOY
  1. Oatmeal with fresh blueberries and walnuts for breakfast.
  2. Salon blowout.
  3. Bought a bracelet at Rabbit Rabbit--and a beautiful Seda France holiday candle, 50 percent off. So gorgeous, with notes of fir balsam, fir needle, cedar wood, grapefruit, orange oil....about to take off mantel and bring up to bedroom.
  4. Met my friend Anne for lunch and chat. Nice.

6 comments:

  1. Wow. Montclair even has an art museum? It's a great idea for Figgy to take that class... keep her hand in and her interest maintained. (Love her fashion drawing above.) Good luck with her job search. Love, Lin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking of Fig often. I think the art class is a great idea, too. So much talent will surely need to be expressed now and in September!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is insanely talented. I'm glad she'll be drawing! (Hey, if we lived closer, I'd hire her to give my kids art lessons!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lin, Kim, Eileen....thank you for being fans of my Fig. Lin, you are such a talented artist yourself......fingers crossed, praying and a hoping. love alice

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. i should probably stop calling her "my" Fig? might be healtheir all around for me to realize she is and always will be her own person?

    ReplyDelete
  6. meh. I like "my" Fig. I think it's sweet.

    ReplyDelete