Search This Blog

Monday, August 31, 2015

Snapshots from the Cape

It's 10:34 p.m. I have exactly 26 minutes until the Hot Chocolate Sparrow is locked up for the night. It's not the same to blog from the house on my tiny iPhone screen. So I told H. I was driving here to blog on my laptop. He was putting the Energizer Bunny to bed.

Today was a stop-and-drink-me-in Cape Cod day. Our friends Anne and Nikki drove up from Montclair for two nights at the motel up the road from us. We met here at the Sparrow for lunch, then spent a lazy afternoon at Great Pond. H., Nik and Punch swam and splashed a lot; H. took a long jog around the pond; Anne and I sat on beach chairs and chatted. Then we made a beeline to Mac's Seafood in Wellfleet before the sunset. And then, like a cherry on the ice cream sundae, we drove back to First Encounter Beach, on the bay side in Eastham, to look at the stars and watch the reddish moon rise.

I'm grateful to be here at the Sparrow just writing for love. Not writing, at the moment, about potato mashers or holiday sales or wallpaper patterns. I'm grateful for my paying work, but just as grateful when I have a chance to write freely.

I've noticed I'm older and quicker to tire. Of course. Punchy has her challenges, and sometimes I think, wow, at this age, H. and I could be on vacation by ourselves. And while that might feel odd and empty-nestish, it can be draining to have a young child. When Figgy was 8, I took more time to cleanse my face, apply mascara, wear jewelry. I looked forward to reading or telling her bedtime stories. But Punch--she favors H. and she is also a whirling dervish. By the time she's ready for bed, I'm past my bedtime. If H. is around, she prefers he do bedtime stories, and he does a good job of it, too. But I want to get back in there. I have some magic to share, too. With Figgy, we took turns.

The nature has been stunning. The gift of quiet ponds, curving coastline--and little old-time general stores selling summer necessities, including marshmallows for the mandatory s'mores. The things that haven't changed since I was a girl: historic windmills, the Superette, Nauset Light. The home my parents built and my brother carefully maintains, with its white lace curtains, red kitchen clock, lamps and tables from Dad's brother Aldo.

In the animal world: Today, Nikki spotted a baby cottontail bunny by the pond and then the girls found a dead sunfish, which they studied up close in Punch's beach pail. To sit on the sandy shore by Great Pond and hear Nikki and Punch squealing with laughter and splashing in the water=pure summer joy. I listen and I pray that they remember this feeling, that it fills their hearts and souls, that they can tap into the beauty and happiness later on in life. I pray the same for my Figgy, who was raised with days and days of these Cape Cod treasures.

If I'm fortunate enough to get a full-time job, I will have much less flexibility with vacation time. As a freelancer, I have been positively spoiled that way. I have loved taking Figgy or Punchy or both on trips to the Cape the minute I've spotted a school holiday, be it in November, December, February or April. But I trust I will find a way and figure it out.

Good night. It's 10:52. I think I better unplug, pack up, drive home on Route 6 East until I turn right at the Viking Shores Motor Inn. Pictures below.


Our friend Anne and her daughter Nikki in Wellfleet tonight.
Punch, H. and me. Punch and I went straight from Great Pond to Mac's Seafood.
Giant squeeze, age 8 and age 13.
Funny pose.


No comments:

Post a Comment