Search This Blog

Monday, August 3, 2015

The Peach "Doughnuts" Apology

I made this recipe tonight. I always wondered what to do with the doughnut peaches that pop up at Kings every summer. Now I know, thanks to The New York Times. It took a lot of pots and bowls--and some time--to make the raspberry sauce, blanch and peel the peaches and sear the "doughnuts." But it was worth it. A very memorable and sweet dessert. And it's peaches, for goodness sake! Virtuous.

My tips:
  • I made Figgy's vegan by searing hers separately in a skillet with hazelnut oil and serving with vegan vanilla bean ice cream. I wasn't very nice to her earlier today, so this, I guess, was a bit of an apology. She loved them.
  • I used frozen raspberries [on sale, they were much cheaper than fresh], subbed a capful of orange extract for cassis, didn't have lime so skipped it, and didn't strain the sauce. It was still every drop delicious.
I hope you try it, too.

I have read about blanching fruit for years--pop peaches in boiling water for 30 seconds, transfer to bowl of ice water, drain, slice, pit and peel--and now I've done it, with nice results.

See, this is me without Punchy around. I have time for new recipes! H. loved the peaches, too, and I hope to make one day for Punch.

Good night.

TCOY
  1. Boot camp in the park.
  2. Walked Sug around block.
  3. Support group--takes bravery to share there.
  4. Nap.
  5. Took Sug for long walk at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment