Search This Blog

Monday, November 23, 2015

Thank You, Emily Luchetti

The knife test marks will be masked with homemade whipped cream on each slice.
My crust is homely but will taste good. Besides, the irregularity is part of its charm; it's not crimped by
a machine. However, my friend Debby [Susan Deborah Goldsmith], who was
Associate Food Editor at Good Housekeeping for a long time,
can crimp a picture-perfect pie. Amazing.

I love Emily Luchetti's cookbook, Four-Star Desserts. I had forgotten how much I love it. It is incredible, and I just went back to her pie dough. It's rich and buttery and thick enough to crimp, but doesn't burn easily around the edges. Just made two batches, one for the pumpkin pie I'm toting to Punchy's Thanksgiving classroom feast tomorrow at 11:45.

Emily L. did desserts at famous Stars in San Francisco [landmark restaurant from 1984 to 1999]. I have read a lot about that place. But I have yet to indulge in the California foodie scene. The few times I have been to the Golden State, I:
  • Drove along the coast with my girlfriends. It was so much fun. But I don't remember any special meals, just Chinatown once, I think. Do recall an incredible bakery in Carmel. I think we just window-shopped there.
  • Went as a chaperone for the Seventeen Magazine music competition. This was fun; we young staffers went along to help supervise the talented kids. We had dinner on the Queen Elizabeth 2, though I cannot remember what it was. 
  • Drove across the country for two weeks with H. in summer 1990. Remember steak and chile rellenos [a revelation to this Jersey girl] in Texas, but did not get into California foodie scene. By the time we got there, I had to fly back to work. H. drove back.
  • Went with H. to San Diego area when he went for business. Do not recall any memorable meals.
Now, if I went to California, I would be tracking down Chez Panisse in Berkeley [hi, Nan!]; I have several of Alice Waters' cookbooks. On those prior trips, didn't have much extra money or such a treasure trove of cookbooks and knowledge.

Oh well, I have Emily L.'s wonderful legacy between two covers. But read HERE for what she says about limiting sugar. I really like it. Check this pointer: • Get pleasure out of things contradictory to desserts. Yes I like a warm juicy pie fresh from the oven but I also like not having a big butt. Life’s a trade-off and you can’t have everything all the time. It’s the same with food.

TCOY
  1. H. got up early to drive Punch to 8:10 a.m. gymnastics and I relished sleeping later.
  2. Had that healthy Cooking Light chili with kale for lunch.
  3. Steamed butternut squash with dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment