Search This Blog

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Supercrank (Me, Not Harriet)

Harriet Tubman statue in Harlem. Some details on her skirt
show the faces of passengers
on the Underground Railroad.
Ah, a nice blank page to vent. Grateful for that. Let me count the reasons why I'm cranky.
  1. This Whole Life Challenge is hard; especially the part about no chocolate and candy. If you do have a serving of those, you subtract a point from your 5 nutrition points earned for the day. Believe you me, I could really get into some fine dark chocolate right about now or a nice thick slice of fudge layer cake. I could get lost in the best cup of hot cocoa with a thick pillow of whipped cream. I've had a long, rough day. I just had several Lily's stevia-sweetened dark chocolate chips.
  2. I spent from 2ish to 5ish coaxing Punch to do a school project. Just ask me about Harriet Tubman. Born 1820 in Maryland, though it could have been 1822, since close records weren't kept. Eight siblings. Was named Araminta, nickname Minty, but changed her name to Harriet, after her mom, at age 13. They lived in a one-room cabin and were slaves on a plantation. Her mother was a cook, her father hauled wood. By age 6, Minty had been loaned out as a babysitter and been responsible for checking the muskrat traps. She soon plowed fields. She was beaten and whipped, very painful facts. Around age 27, in 1849, Harriet escaped via Underground Railroad to Philadelphia. Soon, she was making mission upon mission, 13 of them, to help family and friends escape to freedom. She died in 1913 at age 91. And I know all this because Punchy had to choose an African-American who had an impact on society. It took everything I had to sit there and have her write all the facts on pieces of paper, which we glued to the timeline, which was made on the flat part of the cardboard L.L. Bean box that contained the yellow sweater I got H. for Christmas. Without chocolate to soothe me, I was very, very cranky. Giving over a Sunday afternoon is not one of my strengths. I was also trying hard to have Punchy learn to research, gather facts and write them down in an orderly fashion without me doing it for her. In spite of myself, I liked learning about Harriet Tubman. What a brave, kind and remarkable woman. I would love to see the statue of her that stands in Harlem.
  3. We were late for Mass, and I've caught the cold Punchy and Figgy brought home, and our fridge stopped working yesterday, and our milk and butter are out in the snow. That was Sis's idea, and a good one. But I brought some expensive things, like medicines and Vegenaise, to my next-door neighbor Julie's fridge. But yeah, I'm pretty cranky about having to walk out to the snow when I want a cup of milk or yogurt. And we just finally replaced our dishwasher; not in the mood to spend on a fridge. 
  4. Cherry on top: The $50 gift card Tory Burch company sends me every year to use during my birthday month was not redeemable. It's good until 11:59 tonight, and we were short on funds, so I didn't get around to shopping online until last night. But then a message popped up saying the code had already been redeemed. I called right away, and the rep saw the same message online, and said she had to send it to the promotion people, and they won't be in until tomorrow. If some glamour thief stole my Tory gift, there's big trouble afoot!!!!!
Well, I better move on. Good night.

TCOY
  • Saw pretty pink sunset with Punch and Sug.
  • A tiny bit of quiet prayer.
  • I see my faults; I pray that I can do better.


2 comments:

  1. Oh, Alice. It sounds like a terrible day. It's always an inconvenient expense to have to replace a necessary appliance. Do you think it can be repaired? Feel better soon from your cold. :) On the bright side, now you know a lot about Harriet Tubman. Love, Lin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re. Harriet: Yes I do, Lin, yes I do!!!! xo

    ReplyDelete