Search This Blog

Thursday, April 28, 2016

A Toast to a Friend

Beverly Riddick.

Historic Van Vleck House & Gardens.

Went to Van Vleck tonight, one of many people lifting a glass to Beverly Riddick, who has for 20 years led HOMECorp to provide affordable housing in mansion-heavy Montclair. Often, crumbling old homes are rebuilt and refurbished to give a new family a new start. Appliances included--we once donated a good kitchen stove.

When I met Beverly, Figgy was in 6th grade and invited to Olivia Riddick's sleepover birthday party. I had to get directions to Christopher Street. [I can't believe that! Now I know our town map much better.] The two girls have been close friends ever since. 

I knew about Beverly's work, have sat in her living room, met her parents, but was wowed by the scope of her achievements tonight.

And applause to Events by Joni, the caterer. The food was good! Hot trays of pasta with cheese set up next to toppings like real crumbled bacon, peas--and truffle oil, yum. Hors d'oeuvres passed on trays, a groaning good cheese board, mini baguette slices topped with steak and excellent frosted brownies and ice-cold lemon bars, both cut into teeny-tiny squares.

Good night.

P.S.
Such great outfits on the women tonight! Pretty dresses, bright colors, Chanel-style jackets, gold-threaded sweaters, dramatic silver link necklaces. I was underdressed. 

TCOY
1. Met with my friend's cleaning lady, who is going to come day before Punchy's First Communion party next week. Thank you, God.
2. Put my foot down.


1 comment: