Search This Blog

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Just Finished Writing Anthony's Book!!!!!!!!!

It took me a long time to finish Anthony's book. He is the monk-turned-business-mogul-and-family-man who hired me to write his life story. We met for coffee many times to talk. He handed over folders and files and greeting cards to me. He told me about his boyhood, his travels, some daring risks.

Sadly, he died two years ago, at age 79, before I was finished. Over that time, I have been sending chapters to his daughters for review. We will self-publish it. It will be called Fly Me to the Moon, because that's Anthony's song.

Life unfolds in funny ways. I couldn't seem to complete the book. First, I was derailed by Punch and all of her appts and needs. Then I was depressed in spurts. Then I was otherwise engaged, writing for Aspire. Or paralyzed with worry about Figgy finding, or not finding, her path. When I was writing about Anthony's death--he was surrounded by his family at home when he died--I relived and mourned my own good Dad's passing, by himself at the hospital in the dark of the night. [Sis, Will and I had gone home.] Anyway, the whole thing became a cycle of feeling guilty that I had not finished the book before Anthony died--and now he was watching from above--and being immobilized to park myself at the laptop and do it. Maybe a part of me didn't want to complete the writing because then I wouldn't be able to list it as a project I was working on--in case my assignments dried up.

Now, after a hiatus and a change in staff, I was recently rehired as a freelance writer for goodcook.com. But before I could really bite into that, I knew I had to finish this.

I am paid by the hour. Here are the hours I worked on it today, in between two second-grade girls going in the sprinkler and doing spa treatments in the bathroom and one husband barbecuing dinner.

4:30 to 6 p.m.
6:30 to 6:45 p.m.
7:30 to 8:30 p.m.

That is a total of 2.75 hours--of some serious writing, detailing a brave man's fight at the end of his life. Quite different from writing about can openers and spatulas.

Good night.

Gratitude.

TCOY 
1. Using Kiehl's Rare Earth Deep Pore Cleansing Masque now; luckily, the two little girls left some in my jar.
2. So much ice water.
3. Made fresh lime/toasted coconut/coconut milk/frozen banana/flaxseed superfood smoothie! Yum.
4. Corn on cob. 5. 7 a.m. support group, including meditation.


10 comments:

  1. I see you are still doing smoothies. Good for you!

    My girl suddenly went vegan, out of a commitment to animal welfare. I'm not thrilled, but still want to help. Do you have any recommendations for vegan cookbooks? Especially a baking one. I have plenty of ways to cook vegetables that meet the mark (I'm a big fan of coconut oil) but am baffled by the different chemistry of baking if no eggs.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps: congratulations on the book! What an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pps: feeling sorry for myself, I went to the grocery for laundry detergent, and came home with THREE different kinds of ice cream and sampled two. Back on the wagon. But now no-one else will eat the ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nan. I will ck my cookbook library and see which vegan baking ones I liked best. It can really be hit or miss. I recently started using egg replacer powder (you mix it w water) in a chocolate cake that came out good. I have to find the recipe. Re the ice cream, I hear you, I really do. We are all only human. Love Alice

      Delete
  4. Oh, no, Nan! Sorry you're losing an ice-cream buddy. I hear ya. while summer is stressful and tempting in many ways with the kids home, it's also a good time to do a little dessert making knowing more mouths will eat their share. I dare not during the days they're not here!

    Congrats, Alice! Great accomplishment. The idea of ghosting a book totally overwhelms me! Brava!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. Yes I discovered I like articles w word counts. I think long book lengths intimidate me. But maybe now I can grow beyond that! I'm also a stickler for accuracy and found it a big responsibility to get a lifetime's worth of facts right. Xo

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on finishing the book! Wow! And congrats on the goodcook.com job, too. The name of the website suits you! Just read this whole post -- I hope it's not too late to comment. Love, Lin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lin...thank you...Anthony's daughter(s) and I still want to make some changes/additions...but it feels good.....thank you for the good wishes on goodcook.com. So glad you went to CA Love Al

    ReplyDelete