Search This Blog

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Steeple Chase

Well I tried to get to noon Mass but wasn't feeling great so I set my sights on the express 3:30 Mass in the auditorium at Mountainside Hospital. But H. took Punch to the mall for fun this rainy Sunday and didn't get back in time.

Then I googled the churches in surrounding towns. My friend told me Montclair State has a nice Mass at 8:30 p.m. but it's hard to park and anyway, too late for Punch. 

I thought I'd found a 7 p.m. Mass at a Polish parish in Clifton but think it was 7 a.m. instead. Finally, drove w Punch to Saint Philip the Apostle up Valley Road in Clifton because I thought they had an evening Mass but again I was wrong. We got out of the car in the rain and stood by the statue, I guess of Saint Philip holding Baby Jesus.

Let's say a prayer, I said as we approached the cold marble deities. It occurred to me that an onlooker might find this whole scene odd on a dreary Sunday night, an older mother figure and rambunctious young brunette approaching a statue. They might mistake me for a religious fanatic, not a frantic lady who is supposed to get her girl to church every week and dropped the ball.

Take a picture of me hugging the statue, Punch said.

No, my phone is in the car and it's raining.

We hopped back into our warhorse CR-V and drove home. 

Good night.

TCOY
1. Long talk with Pats, from Colorado, who encouraged me to get out and walk. Even though it was rainy, I did. We also talked about other strategies to overcome depression.
2. Made a nice tomato sauce with angel hair. 

No comments:

Post a Comment