Search This Blog

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Day 13 No Sweet Treats

I got an itch to bake, even on this stifling hot day, so I made tomato and cheese galettes from Baking with Julia. Our niece Florida Orange and Punchy helped pick the basil and snip it; my friend/sitter Elaine had given me a bounty of garden tomatoes.

My plan is to master savory baking--and believe me, I have a long way to go. But the hazelnut biscotti in the book look so good and I found myself saying, Oh, 3/4 cup of sugar in the whole batch isn't that much! But for now, no sweet baking. The devil is in the details. I have surely gone down that road before.

It's so hot that I've been craving ice cream. Stared down the Ben & Jerry's at last night's Montclair Jazz Festival but we made a stop at Let's Yo, where I got the tangy, no-sugar-added plain flavor and topped it w blueberries, chopped almonds and walnuts. 

Today at the supermarket, I couldn't find good sugar-free ice cream. Finally unearthed a frosty pint of Agave Dream, an agave-sweetened ice cream, in cappuccino flavor. Agave is supposed to be better on glycemic index. It is very good, though agave is another form of sugar, right? Anyway, it's a good coffee flavor, and I had a small dish.

Good night, sweet dreams.

TCOY
1. Corralled Punchy for 11:30 Mass. Visiting preacher, maybe from the Caribbean. Very spirited speaker. "God has your back, your front, your right arm and your left arm," he said. I like that!
2. Dinner I made included fresh tomatoes, arugula salad and, for dessert, raspberries, blueberries and fresh apricots with unsweetened whipped cream.
3. Reading a great library book I found in the children's section w Punchy. It's a novel called Tru & Nelle, by G. Neri; based on the childhoods of Harper Lee and Truman Capote, neighbors in Monroeville, Alabama. Enchanting.

No comments:

Post a Comment