Search This Blog

Friday, September 23, 2016

Big Screen: A River Runs Through It

Craig Sheffer and Brad Pitt as Maclean brothers Norman and Paul.
Have you seen this beautiful 1992 film directed and narrated by Robert Redford, who could read me a book any old day? 

It's a tale of two brothers, woven carefully with words, nuances and nature, from the phrases in the true Norman Maclean story it is based on to golden boy Brad Pitt to sweeping views of Montana and its rivers. I had to breathe in on my couch, in awe of that coursing, forceful beauty.

I saw it alone as a newlywed in Montclair and loved every moment. How could it have taken me until today, 24 years later and happening upon it on TV, to realize that I must read renowned Chicago Professor Maclean's book? His wisdom, insights and close views of nature touched my heart. It's a story about preaching, literature, love, fly-fishing and family--with its quiet joys and painful struggles--in another time and place.

I would like to get it on audio, too--it's just the kind of thing I like to listen to when working on writing that borders on tedious, or writing that soars.

New York Blood Center has a rewards program for donors, and you can save up your points for jewelry, gift cards, hair dryers, lipstick, books, boxes of Godiva chocolates and more. I'm eyeing an Amazon gift card so I can get the book, A River Runs Through It.

Good night.

TCOY
1. Walked 4 big loops at Anderson Park, from 10:30 to 11:30. Left my phone in car, which felt freeing. Seemed like I could stand up straight and undo some stress knots, be present. Hit nearly 16,500 steps on Fitbit today.
2. Made turkey, Provolone, avocado and tomato sandwich on toasted wheat.
3. H. picked one of the pumpkins he and Punch grew. He roasted it for dinner and they toasted the seeds separately. Healthy and good.
4. While Punch was in her appt., I pulled out the Start Where You Are journal I bought at the Orleans Health Food Store on the Cape last month and wrote in it. I bought Figgy the same one.



7 comments:

  1. I saw your surge up on the Fitbit. Go you!

    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice, we had a very beloved professor at Syracuse who recommended that book to all of his students. He was the type of professor who we all wanted to please, all the time, so I read it despite the fact that it's way out of my typical areas of interest. It's wonderful. Such quiet, understated language. Loved the movie, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, great! Is that the journalism professor you wrote about when he died? Why did he want you to read it? My copy just arrived today! Xo

      Delete
  3. Yep, Alice, that's him. Molly Gregor, Eric Grode and I all loved him. He was a fly fisherman, but I think he just loved that simple style of writing.

    ReplyDelete