Search This Blog

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Big Screen: Nocturnal Animals

Amy Adams plays Susan in "Nocturnal Animals." Look at that style.
Photo from THIS LINK.
Jake Gyllenhaal as Edward, Susan's ex-husband, who sends
her his thriller [novel] manuscript to read. The story is riveting--and dark.
Photo from THIS LINK.


H. said I'd love this movie. He was right. "Nocturnal Animals" was so good. We saw the 10 p.m. showing last night. Dark, suspenseful, chic, writerly, fashionable, gripping. Glamorous. Spike heels, black leather, statement jewelry, auburn hair. The home design is striking and mysterious, too. Wow. Directed by Tom Ford, the fashion designer who was creative director at Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent and has his own fashion label.

High five:
  1. Susan's wardrobe. And her lashes, the long, noir, perfectly separated lashes.The lacquered black fingernails, which made me think I might consider a black nail polish sometime, too. It looked chic and glossy. Impeccable, on the edge. [Just read about black lipstick trending; Figgy and Florida Orange have worn that. I cannot embrace that.] The dresses, the pumps, the earrings and necklaces here. Oh, and that striking curtain of flawless red hair practically plays a leading role. After the credits, a whole list of "Special thanks to" style company names rolled, including Bulgari, Cartier and many more I can't recall. More power to the fashion people.
  2. Jake Gyllenhaal. Not only is he deeply handsome but his acting is moving--gut-wrenching pain, pure fear. The plot pivots between the story line of the novel Edward wrote, which Susan is reading while her philandering second husband is away, and Susan's life, past [with young Edward] and present.
  3. The home design. Walls of windows, always an asset in a thriller; modern kitchen; stylish furniture; sleek bathtub.
  4. The Texas detective. Michael Shannon's performance is a gift. I loved every single word of dialogue he uttered.
  5. The villains in Edward's story. They sure are menacing. You sure would not want to meet them on a West Texas road in the inky dark night where there's no cell service and you are driving your black Mercedes with your pretty wife next to you and your pretty teen daughter in the back seat. Disturbing scenes.
I just realized 2 days late that I forgot to list Laura Linney! She is superb as Susan's wealthy mother, who doesn't particularly embrace the idea of her debutante daughter marrying a struggling writer. Everything about her jewel-box role is perfection. Cutting and to the point. Small in terms of minutes onscreen, huge in terms of impact. Unforgettable.

TCOY
  1. Went to my support group this morning. I was up til 2 a.m., and wanted to sleep at 9 a.m., but so glad I got there. My friend was there, and we went to Java Love for coffee after. It was so good to catch up. I had freedom and flexibility because Punchy is down at her Mimi's until midday tomorrow. My friend and I talked about getting to an evening Joga class together.
  2. Made Giada's butternut-sage soup again. Took me a while, But it tasted good. And since I replaced the 2 T of butter with 2 T of olive oil, it is vegan for Figgy. We ate it with a warmed loaf of formed ciabatta from Gina's Bakery on Walnut Street in Montclair.
  3. Turkey sandwich. Yum.
  4. Nap.
  5. Burning the lovely jasmine Tory Burch candle I bought yesterday--Black Friday at Garden State Plaza.



No comments:

Post a Comment