Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

How Harriet Tubman Saved My Life

Oh, to have a tiny percentage of her bravery and perspective.
It's the last day of African American History Month. Our girl's third grade written project is due this Friday, March 3. I've been wallowing in depression for a couple days and a few reasons, but H. is out working tonight, so I sat down with Punchy to do her rough draft. Harriet Tubman helped me snap out of it, as least for tonight--and I hope for longer.

Sitting at the dining room table next to an earnest little girl who is writing notes in pencil and asking how to spell decided and Pennsylvania has a way of instilling gratitude in simple, beautiful actions. Noting how she clenches the Dixon Ticonderoga No. 2 Soft yellow pencil and says the words aloud as she writes them--that reaches my heart like nothing else can. Except maybe my husband, in his blue plaid shirt, putting his arms around me at the kitchen sink--even though I can't hug back because I am so sad and angry and overwhelmed sometimes.

Reading about a woman who so fiercely fought for others--who were suffering badly and living inhumanely--makes you think twice about your pity party.

To review the facts this evening, we watched videos about "Minty," as her family called her. [She was originally named Araminta, but took her mother's name later in life.] What a remarkable woman, risking her life to lead people to freedom in the dark of night. Punch and I learned:
  • Her grandmother came from Africa on a slave ship, and Minty was born into slavery in Maryland. She had four brothers and four sisters, and was the fifth child in birth order.
  • By age 5, she was hired out to take care of an infant. If the mistress, Miss Susan, heard the infant cry, Minty was whipped.
  • At age 29, she escaped to the free state of Pennsylvania.
  • She then conducted the Underground Railroad, going back for her parents and siblings and other slaves. She made about 19 trips, saving 300 slaves.
  • Slave owners offered a reward of $40,000 for her capture.
  • During the Civil War, she sold pies to make money.
  • She died at 93. 
I'm grateful we learned more about this brave, brave, brave woman and am reminded of Araminta, the receptionist at my first women's magazine job. She was a dignified older black woman and every year, she went back down to some state south of NYC for a huge family reunion. I wonder if she was somehow related to, or named in honor of, this great African American?

I also remember a tour I took as a teen at the Dumont Sidewalk Sale one summer. We got to see the Old North Reformed Church, and were informed that it was a stop on the Underground Railroad. Right in my tiny town. I have to research that more, but it makes me happy.

Syracuse, NY was a pivotal part of the Underground Railroad, and when I went on a press trip there this past fall, we saw, in a museum, carvings that slaves had done while waiting in dark tunnels until they could move to the next stop.....so real. And here I am worrying about chipped coral nail polish and not being able to pay a doctor bill. Go, Harriet; may your spirit live on.

Good night.

TCOY
  1. Walked in and out of town with Elaine.
  2. Got a big spinach salad w tarragon chicken and mustard vinaigrette at Sandwich Theory.
  3. Ice water.
  4. Made French press coffee with good Irving Farm beans from LOCAL in Montclair.
  5. Faced the music. Again.


4 comments:

  1. Harriett Tubman is one of my biggest heroes. I almost named my boat after her (we sail in her part of the world, on waters plied regularly by Frederick Douglass) but the I realized the boat would inevitably be known as "Tub"!

    Sometimes, when living your life, just doing your duty, serendipity and grace happens. Your evening sounds like grace to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim and Nan. Thanks for the notes. Nan, I love that HT is one of your biggest heroes and that's right, you sail in her part of the world!!!! Have you seen where she lived? Yes, grace happens. Sending love, Alice

    ReplyDelete