Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Brown Butter Skillet Cornbread on a Dreary Day 

Rainy day, two freelance writers waiting for mail carrier to deliver paychecks, no such luck, keeping house heat low to conserve oil, very skimpy grocery budget.

Light bulb! Make Melissa Clark's marvelous Brown Butter Skillet Cornbread. I have her very good cookbook, and that version calls for sour cream or whole milk yogurt and 1 stick butter [not the 1.5 sticks listed now on NY Times website version]. Melissa must have tweaked it. Alas, I had the butter but used Cabot 2% Greek yogurt from back of fridge. and Bob's Red Mill Ivory whole-grain flour.

H. and I loved the warm wedges with a little extra butter for good measure, but current recipe on cooking.nytimes.com looks better, with buttermilk and more maple syrup. I think I've made that one, too. Yum. So simple and good. But my hopes of giving Punchy a wholesome snack fell through; she snubbed it. Can't say I didn't try. Good night.

  TCOY
  1. Nice 8 a.m. yoga class.
  2. Rummaged thru fridge and found a chicken sausage and barrel jar of sauerkraut for lunch. Nice browned together in skillet and eaten w Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard.
  3. Walked Sug around block.
  4. Good dental care.

No comments:

Post a Comment