Search This Blog

Thursday, September 27, 2018

Glittery New York City--with Cream on Top

So much I’d like to write, but Punch was up til midnight Tuesday night and 11:20 last night and Dan and I are exhausted.

Sometimes she can’t wind down and fall asleep, even with her 1 mg of melatonin and her Guanfacine, even after soccer practice, even after open tumbling at gymnastics. The J&J lavender bedtime bath did help Monday night...but the last two nights, she has been restless, singing and writing song lyrics in bed.

Thank God, she seems to have drifted off now.

I did two great things with Sis in NYC today--early lunch at Cafe Sabarsky, an Austrian treasure near the Met, and a visit to the Met Costume Institute [and first floor] for Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination, an incredible exhibit that ends October 8.

I want to write so much about the deep feelings it stirred up, having grown up--and stayed--in the Catholic Church, even as it faces dark shadows now. And I do mean dark. Horrifying. To feel all that and see gem-encrusted crowns and amethyst crosses and handmade Pope slippers and robes so heavy with gold thread and embroidery--it was soul-stirring.

I want to write about it tomorrow on my Rose Gold laptop, not now, when I’m craving sleep and squinting at this tiny iPhone screen in bed. I want the luxury of a large screen, can-do keyboard and a coffee as I revisit my Catholic girlhood and beyond.

Until then, photos:

Yum. Chilled coffee with whipped cream [mit schlag] at elegant Cafe Sabarsky. Go!

My Sis in the cafe near today’s [Austrian?]  newspapers displayed on wood holders.

I said we both had to wear our gold charm bracelets--the Popes had so much gold.

Gold mesh dress by Versace, donated by his sister, Donatella.

Blessed Virgin-inspired fashion.

Again.

Celestial, haunting, opulent, stark [nun style] and stunning.

More to come.

And I walked 1 hour in NYC, from Met at 82nd Street and Fifth Avenue to Port Authority Bus Terminal at 41st Street and Eighth Avenue. Pretty day. Good night. I love NY.

4 comments:

  1. Love hearing about your visual feast of a day!
    Yesterday was miserable, up to midnight finishing work because I incessantly updated social media during the hearing, even tho it made me sick.
    And Kavanaugh is Catholic. Absolutely stomach-turning.
    TGIF!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to read the rest of your report. Love your writing. Completely understand about the church.

    ReplyDelete