All three of us earned our stripes--and heels, and handbags and insights--in the New York magazine world. Candy and Allegra worked together at two publications, including Women's Wear Daily, the fashion industry bible then in newspaper form. Candy and I were in offices across the hall from one another at Good Housekeeping and then she moved to Woman's Day, where I had started my career. All three of us worked at one time or another with Donna B., my boss for a while at GH.
The magazine world was--is?--a game of musical chairs.
Tonight we went to Chez Josephine, a charming restaurant on West 42nd Street that was opened by the son of famous French dancer Josephine Baker. It is a landmark, lovely and glamorous. Live piano music, excellent French food. My plate included petite, soft potato croquettes and slim green beans.
|Isn't she lovely? Image of Josephine Baker from HERE.|
Such a treat to eat at Chez Josephine.
- Important personal writing, short but to the point.
- Getting my ducks in a row for three writing projects.
- Overnight oats with banana.
- Did my makeup.
- Fresh berries for dessert at Chez J. Did not even blink at what must surely be superior--and chic--French desserts.
- Lost a bet with Punch that she had homework--$1. But it turned out there was a technical problem and the teacher sent the homework email later. He hadn't sent his daily list, so I thought the girl was right.
- DeCamp, round trip bus fare to NYC from my corner, $15.30.
- Duane Reade in Port Authority. I forgot my slim golden Lilly Pulitzer makeup bag. In a pinch, bought Revlon eye-brightening concealer and a pot of pretty rose gold creme eye shadow. Fortunately, I had my Cherries in the Snow lipstick and Trish McEvoy mascara in my handbag. Still, $25.02. That's a lot, but I'm happy with the shadow pot.
- Dinner, including excellent main course and mixed berries with whipped cream in a glass goblet for dessert, plus tax and tip, $60. [We didn't have drinks or coffee, just ice water.]
- Tip for piano man, $2. He played "Moon River" and "Send in the Clowns."
AVERAGE DAILY SPEND SO FAR: $77.80.
🎟 Gasoline, twice, $52.
🎟 Chinese lunch with Sis, $33.
🎟 Grocery shopping in Connecticut w Sis, $48.
🎟 CPAP dr. co-pay, specialist, $50.
🎟 Whole Foods again, including 3-pack soy candles, pound smoked salmon and Hydro Flask for Punch, $166.
🎟 Jackie's Grillette treat, casual dinner and soft drinks for three, plus tip, about $45.
🎟 Salon 212 blowout plus tips for job hunting Friday, $45.
🎟 Kings, prosciutto, fresh mozzarella for women's group platter, $58.
🎟 CVS, melatonin gummies, milk, Listerine, $30.
🎟 Kings, 1/2 gallon organic milk, 1/2 gallon oat milk, yellow baby potatoes, teriyaki sauce, Cabot shredded cheese, fresh black figs, 1.38 lb flank steak, etc, $48.
🎟 Kings again, groceries, $39.
🎟 Chez Josephine dinner with Candy and Allegra, $60.
🎟 Duane Reade, emergency makeup in Port Authority, $25.