Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 1, 2024

See Jane Walk

 I took this photo last spring--a thoughtfully crafted home in our boxwood shrub. 
The babies did rise up and fly away.

Happy to report a 20-minute walk at 7 p.m. This may sound like a kindergartner's recap, but here is what I saw:

  1. A robin redbreast (at least I think so). My birder (Figgy) is in her own apartment, not here to verify.
  2. A cracked light blue robin's eggshell. It was in the green grass, a positive sign that a proud, can-do baby emerged, leapt to its feet and took flight. I carried it home carefully, in my palm. "Oh, no," said Punch when I showed her. I told her it meant the baby flew away. "Oh, good," she said. We connected on nature. Common ground.
  3. Two adult bunnies scavenging in gardens.
  4. A mama deer and two offspring. She was very protective. Stopped in her tracks and stared me down to be sure I wouldn't advance or make trouble. Good maternal instincts.
  5. Birds alighting in a shrub to build a nest.
Good night.

4 comments:

  1. I also took a little evening walk. Love the little everyday miracles in our leafy suburbs. I also love the way it can provide connections, good for you.

    Xoxo,
    Nan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evening walks are calming, right, Nan? I hope all is well. xo

      Delete
  2. what a delightful walk! --Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the report on your nature walk!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete