Search This Blog

Monday, April 12, 2010

Phoning in Favorite Memories


I love talking on the phone to my girlfriends and sister. Always have. In our house, the heavy, clunky, very serious black rotary phone was on a green hassock at the foot of the steps that led up to our bedrooms. We didn't have a chair there; you just sat on the step. And sat, and sat, if nobody kicked you off.

Dial-a-Memory
1. My mom also sat on that step a lot to talk to her girlfriends--the ones she'd grown up and gone to school with in New York City. Elaine, Dot, the other Dot, and others. They'd plan lunch dates, get-togethers. Plus her Dumont friends: Vera, Rita, the others she played bridge with. She liked to talk as much as I do.

2. Crank calls. You dialed "O" and the operator came on. "I'm going to call your mother if you do that again," the lady said to me. I must have said something, because she knew I was a child. It was just really hard to resist dialing the mysterious "O." My brother Will, four years older than me, was a font of wise information. He knew how to make the phone ring at our house. He never did show me the secret.

3. Endless chats with Fritch, Irene, Moey and Lorraine all through school in Dumont. Laughing, talking about homework, haircuts, clubs, thigh size, boys [depending on which of those four friends was on the other end of the line].

4. Crush calls. Once calling Robert D's house just to hear his voice--I think in sixth grade? I don't know if I asked for him, or just kept quiet. Just remember that very awkward silence when you think the person will know it's you. And then at school the next day, you worry he'll say something. He didn't.

5. First calls from boys. First experience with lines like, "You're harder to reach than the President."

6. Boyfriend calls. Talking to J. during college breaks, usually with my Dad, red-faced, interrupting to say "You're running up the phone bill."

And Some Sad Ones, Too
1. My Uncle Malachy called when my cousin Stevie was killed on his bike on Long Island. I think he [and I] were in sixth grade. I can clearly remember my uncle's voice that afternoon. My friends and I were upstairs rehearsing a skit for school, in which I was wearing a hand-me-down black velvet skirt, and the toilet wouldn't flush.

2. Vividly recall some Saturday mornings--my mom in her white terrycloth bathrobe with "Hers" embroidered in black on the pocket, her hair up in a towel, Pond's cold cream on her face. [Pond's smelled so good, and I only remember it from Saturday mornings.] Remember her crying--once when one of her kids was in trouble for drinking, once when her father was hit by a car crossing a street in Dumont [he didn't die, but was injured].

3. Saddest call of all. May 20, 1981, about 5 A.M. Sis and I were sleeping upstairs. We knew right away when the phone rang. It was the doctor telling our Dad that our Mom died in the hospital. "What time?" my Dad asked. "Thank you," he said. The heavy receiver went back in the cradle; loud and final in the early morning quiet. My Dad was in his white undershirt and boxer shorts. I went downstairs after he hung up. He was crying. But as soon as he saw me, he stopped. He always tried to be strong for us. In a way, I wish for both of us that he had kept crying.

Can't Crack the Code
I still know these Dumont girlhood phone numbers, all 384 exchanges and one 385, by heart:
Irene
Lorraine
Maureen [family number and her own Princess phone in her room]
Fritch
Granny + Grandpa

Hope I remember those till the day I die!


Note: The photo above is a publicity still for Pillow Talk, the 1959 movie starring Doris Day and Rock Hudson.

4 comments:

  1. I got a call on the phone in my bedroom at 6 am on a Saturday. It was my brother-in-law. "Didn't you get my texts?" "No, the cell is in the other room." "Mary [my sister] is in the hospital. It's her heart. Can you come?" "Yes". Two hours later they declared her dead.

    The next time that phone rang I stared at it and froze. I ended up unplugging it and throwing it away. I sleep with my iPhone now - it is never out of reach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We lived in Alaska when your mom passed away; I remember getting that call from my parents. Before we moved in 1980, we came to visit her in Dumont and I am glad that we had the chance to see her. You were there and so was Sis. And your dad.

    On a lighter note, today's generation of tweeners are missing out on all the giggles of crank calls with the invention of caller ID!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nan. Thank you for sharing that phone memory. Don't blame you for throwing out the phone. I remember your sister Mary--she was a friend of Kim's, and I met Mary more than once when we were all younger. She was a nice person. I was also working at Farhan's company at the time of her death. It was so sad to hear about. It is a blessing, though, that you are in her family's life. thank you again for writing. alice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda.......I very clearly remember when you came to visit that time! I think we have photos from that day. I think my mother was wearing a hot pink Shetland wool crewneck sweater and a wig. So was it Aldo, Edith and you who came? Did Joe stay home with the kdis? It was really nice that you came. My mom liked it. One other phone call I always remember is the one when your mom called after my mom died. She was asking for names of hotels in the area so she and Aldo could stay overnight. I told her the Clinton Inn. Please send her my love. love alice xooxox

    ReplyDelete