Search This Blog

Monday, May 24, 2010

House Proud

The demo crew arrived at our house this morning--demo as in demolition. It feels final, and jarring. Like an end, not a beginning.

There's a dumpster on our lawn, and masked men we've never met in our lives are taking sledgehammers to our walls.

The tree fell through the roof Saturday night, March 13, almost three months ago. It has taken this long to get everything in order with the insurance company and the mortgage holders, who keep the money in escrow and dole it out to our contractor. I'm not complaining about State Farm; they've been excellent. And our contractor is known for his work.

Wake-up Call
But when we were at the house for a little while this morning, H. thought it was funny. He asked to take a swing or two in his office. The guy told him to be careful.

"I'm sick of this house," H. joked, swinging the sledgehammer and laughing.

"No, not like that, like this," the man said, helping him out.

I didn't think it was funny at all. I feel sad, and told H. so on the ride back to the sleek, modern condo in Clifton.

"Ali, come on now," he said. "They're fixing it all."

Thanks for the Memories
Hardworking hands built this house in the 1920s, and they did a fine job. A well-built home is a beautiful, even romantic thing. Those walls are sturdy, hard to force down. But because of that towering tulip tree and the damage it did when it fell, we have to tear them down to their bones and rebuild them--in about two-thirds of the house.

They don't have to take down Figgy's room,or the dining room or kitchen. But the entire attic floor, living room, sun room, bedroom and H.'s office have gotta go.

Those are the walls that sheltered H. while he wrote three books, staying up late into the night. Sug often snoozed by his side. See that bed the guys just brought out? We took turns reading Figgy her bedtime stories on it every night--Reindeer Baby, The Going to Bed Book, The Wizard of Oz. Figgy's bassinet and later, Punch's crib were in that tiny bedroom with us; we barely had room to walk, or wedge open the closet.

Those living room walls were painted sage green when Good Housekeeping made over our room for the magazine, in 1999. Do you like my sun room office? My friends Anne, Moey and Elly came over last spring and helped me scrape, sand and apply that pretty Caribbean turquoise color. It was hard work, and it took days and days. One thing is for sure, I'm getting that color again. When Figgy saw my freshly painted office, she said it looked like a Tiffany box.

See the attic? It had a separate cedar closet, like a lot of the homes around here. The closet had a door with a frosted glass window. Now it's going, going, gone. All gone. Without even knowing the tales of the previous owners--the hopes they had, the dreams they built. I know a little about some of them, but not nearly as much as I'd like.

Mystery Man
Who built this house, anyway? Man, you did a remarkable job. Kudos. I no longer think of art only as the fine work Figgy or my cousin Linda does, or as the carefully crafted writing I love to read and strive to achieve.

No, I now see building a house as a beautiful art that stands on its own. I am just so sorry to see these sturdy walls being knocked down to their beams. They are trying so hard to stand tall and resist.

They were built to last, to inspire, to nurture, to protect and distract us from the raw truth of the elements--just like the finest artwork.

8 comments:

  1. I feel for your grief and admiration for your lovely home. I totally get the love of bricks and mortar, and totally agree about homes being a thing of art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kim...I know you and F. have done a lot with building, renovating...you did so much on your Brooklyn home when you first got it, right? And you were so young and energetic! You must truly see the house as a work of art. I have kept myself at a distance, except if you count the garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alice,
    We have lived in 4 houses and 2 apartments. Each time we moved, especially from a house where we lived when each our children were born, I always felt compelled to have one last look around each room and think of a memory for each. It was sad, but I had to take a deep breath and lock the door – mostly becasuse my husband was outside yelling for me to hurry up! But, he was often more sentimental than I was about some things, such as getting rid of baby cribs.

    Your house, built when it was, is history and art. They don’t build ‘em like that anymore! Good luck.

    Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda....Wow....four houses....I still can't believe you were only in your 20s when you and J. moved so far away to Alaska.....that was brave for both of you....re. Uncle Aldo: I remember he came over to our house in Dumont to help my Dad build the bathroom on the second floor. He was always very good at building and fixing, wasn't he? The more I talk to you, the more I miss him. Just tonight, I was talking to my Dad about him, about how funny he was. My Dad said that he and my mom were once asking Aldo what the doctor said about his high blood pressure. "He said something like, 'They can't quite corner the problem,' while he sat there drinking his schnapps," my Dad remembered, laughing. And last night, I was remembering how my Dad went to visit Aldo regularly when he had the brain tumor. I went with him once and he was touching Aldo's foot, saying, "Al? Al?" We felt he reacted and could tell we where there. It was cute, like the younger brother reaching out to the older one. Linda, he would be so happy that we're in close touch, right? love alice

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't have laughed, either. I love my house and intend to stay here forever. I've done work, and had work done, and have years worth of plans in my head. I wear my house like favorite clothes.

    I've also got big trees and had narrow misses - last year a tree fell to block my front door, but only took out a gutter. Another time I had to have a three-foot-diameter, 150+ year old tree removed, after two consultants told me it couldn't be saved. It was two months between that and when I could get someone to do it, and every time the wind blew I flinched until it was gone. It was still very sad to lose it.

    As much as you love it, I hope you'll have a chance to maybe improve a little bit? At least better plumbing and electrical? Maybe a new built-in something right where you want it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nan...the other tree standing tall in the photo is the twin tulip tree that grew up with the one that fell. That one is being sawed down tomorrow. It is sad. So tall, so proud, all that cooling shade. But that tree is more likely to fall now without the other one next to it as buffer, the tree guy said. And my next-door neighbors have two adorable kids whose windows are right near the tree....we all dread the thought of another fall. Wow, cutting down a 150-year-old tree must have been sad...what kind was it? In answer to your Q, yes, our house should be nicer. Truth is, it was in desperate need of some help. In a way, the tree falling was an act of grace/God. thanks again for writing. alice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Alice, my dad would be extremely happy about our close communication. He always had family as a high priority in life and always displayed a special kind of happiness whenever his brothers and their families came to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim another summer at your beloved beach sounds great for you guys.......things do seem to fall into place as they should eventually....

    ReplyDelete