Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Whole Foods Top 10

I've tried really hard to avoid it, that culinary and natural beauty playland. And I've succeeded--I haven't been back there in months. Until last night, when I wanted a good brand of chocolate, and the Whole Foods in West Orange was the only place I could think of. Godiva at Barnes & Noble would not cut it.

Here goes.
10. Iggy's Bread of the World small Raisin Pecan Rolls; 1/2 dozen, $3.99.
9. Gus's New Pickles [didn't buy last night; they weren't that bright green I like].
8. Hip reusable bags; 99 cents [and a dime refund for every bag of your own that you bring--high compared to other stores].
7. Heirloom Tomato Garden that comes in galvanized metal pail, perfect for our terrace; $9.99.
6. Cookbooks; because they are in Whole Foods, you definitely think they will change your life.
5. CDs; So Runs the World Away by Josh Ritter, $13.99.
4. Organic cotton baby and toddler clothes with cute patterns like tomatoes or peapods; I used to love taking Punch to Whole Foods to comb the aisles because it gave us somewhere to go and look at bright colors and shapes at 8 A.M., when the doors opened.
3. Fun socks for teens, like the tube socks I got Figgy a couple of years ago and the organic cotton red tie-dyed knee socks I found for her last night; $12.99. [Proud to say I was right on the mark; she wore them to school today with her red sundress.]
2. Woodspirits Bath Salt Scrubs in sensuous, addictive formulas like Seaweed and Lavender, moist with essential oils to soften your skin; $12.99 per pound in plastic container you fill yourself. [Just checked woodspirits.com, too, where you can buy the same scrubs straight from Apple Road in St. Paris, OH, by the jar with a scoop, 21 oz. for $22 plus $7.95 shipping and handling.]
And the number one reason to shop at Whole Foods:
1. Vosges Haut-Chocolat bars; outrageously expensive, yes, but there's no raising the bar above these; 3 oz. Woolloomooloo Bar, $7.99 [with macadamia nuts, Indonesian coconut, hemp seeds and even a line on the box saying hemp seeds are the "true secret weapon in this scrumptious bar" and that hemp oil helps skin, nails and hair]. Chocolate with hidden beauty bullets....now that is speaking my language.

How about you? Do you ever set foot in Whole Foods? What do you like there?

5 comments:

  1. I barely do because it is so expensive. However, there's one conveniently located halfway between Bklyn and LI, just around the time you want a bathroom and pitstop (in a strip mall with a Starbucks, too -- bonus points). I like that they label their produce very clearly with where it's from. They have very nice brown rice sushi for take-out). And I really enjoy whatever yummy specialty item we sometimes get for breakfast the next day -- excellent blueberry waffles, Irish butter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim...that sounds like a very good pitstop....i've had their brown rice sushi also....and have seen the Irish butter, which always seems so alluring...are the blueberry waffles frozen?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your list! I try not to go that often, because of the prices, but there are deals to be had. Sometimes their produce is actually cheaper than the regular stores'. Also, I get bulk oats and nuts there.

    I love your product list ... those baby clothes are sooooooo cute! And I like your line about the cookbooks. ("because they are in Whole Foods, you definitely think they will change your life.") Tee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eileen, i know, aren't the baby clothes adorable/ you're right, too, the produce can be a better buy [and quality] than at the regular supermarket......you buy bulk nuts? raw almonds?

    ReplyDelete