Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

"Fatigued" Green Nail Polish & Other Color Forms

I'm not the first writer to observe that genuine French macarons
come in impossibly chic colors. Cookies meet high fashion.
Went to a press event in NYC's Fashion District today to preview the Sonia Kashuk spring 2011 makeup line and cosmetic bags. The line is sold exclusively at Target.

Where is Sonia Kashuk based? She's a makeup artist, right? I asked the rep, Tara, who was walking me through the display of nude lipsticks and brushes, false eyelashes and shimmery silver and gold eye pencils.

In New York City. She's right over there, Tara said.

I enjoyed meeting Ms. Kashuk. She was petite, pretty and easy to talk to, and I admired in particular her Limited Edition 2011 Collection, coming out in March. The packaging is so cool--a wicker clutch full of wood-handled brushes; a fat Kabuki brush [its handle wrapped stylishly in rope], just right for sweeping on bronzer or blush; and a lovely wicker-wrapped Spring Awakenings Face Palette with eye, lip and cheek colors. Prices for the collection range from $12.99 to $24.99.

But one of my favorite things was when we got to talking about nail polish. She said nail color sales are on the rise in today's economy.

It's an inexpensive way to add color and pop, she said. And our nail polish is $4.99. I'm wearing our new green, called Fatigued. I got my nails cut short last night and put it on. [Fatigued is as it sounds, like dusty khaki-green army fatigues--it would go well with a soldier's camo clothing. And to Ms. Kashuk's point, a dip like this might not look as good on long nails as it does on cleanly cut shorter ones.]

It made a statement--I'm confident, I'm trendy, I take care of myself and take pride in my beauty--against Ms. Kashuk's glittering watch and ring. As we all know, nothing makes gems and metal on the fingers and wrist dance more glamorously than a shiny coat of color. Link to the makeup brand: www.soniakashuk.com/makeup/.

While in the Fashion District, zipped over to Macaron CafĂ© on 485 Seventh Avenue [entrance on 36th Street]. I happened upon the sweet little spot when I used to walk 30 minutes to and from the Port Authority for my last office job. They have the most beautiful French macarons, which taste as good as they look. I got a box of eight to bring home for a special treat [$19--I am so keeping that charming box]. I got two each of pistachio [green theme, I guess, but also a flavor H. loves], dark chocolate, caramel and coconut. Link: http://www.macaroncafe.com/. And now they have a second location, on Madison and 59th! I took Figgy and her pal Christy to the one I know a few years ago, and they were in awe.

Good night, Sleeping Beauty. Dreams of Paris to come.

4 comments:

  1. When Y came back from her exchange in Paris (2 weeks with a family in her sophomore year), she brought with her a box of macarons from the famous Laduree pastry shop. The exquisite green box filled with the ethereal gems were my--and her--favorite. I was so taken with her tales of Paris (I've been, but for just a few days) that I vicariously cooked and ate French bistro food for WEEKS after she returned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim....I so LOVE the story of Y going to Paris in sophomore year...how fabulous, how chic....and I want to go to that pastry shop! I was in Paris for a day once but not savvy enough at 22 to hunt down macarons and fragrances. thank you for sharing this lovely story. alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those macarons look too pretty to eat... but I want one. I have to hunt them down. Maybe on Saturday? Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Lin, they have two locations! One on 59th street! they are $2.25 each but you can get a box of six for a slightly better price. love alice

    ReplyDelete