Search This Blog

Friday, June 10, 2011

The Midnight Baker

Isn't this an incredible photo, milk bottle and all?
I'll attempt the cake tomorrow from a cookbook
called Dam Good Sweet, by David Guas [this photo is from the book].
I met him at the Hearst Magazines cafeteria,
where he was serving warm beignets
and signing copies, so I bought one.
I once interviewed the winner of a Good Housekeeping recipe contest, whose blue-ribbon entry was a decadent, chocolate-glazed cheesecake.

My friends call me the midnight baker, she said with a laugh, because she was often up in the kitchen making her treats after work.

I've been a midnight baker a lot, too. In my twenties, I used to drive to Pathmark in Bergenfield late at night to get my ingredients, sometimes after going out for the night with Moey and Debbie. Tonight, I got the butter, cream cheese, chocolate and eggs earlier, but am still in the kitchen now.

There's a fundraiser dinner for Toni's Kitchen tomorrow night, and I'm making a few desserts for it. My friend Anne has an important position at the Kitchen, and I am so happy to do this for a cause that is close to Anne. Raising money to help feed the poor, hungry and homeless is also of course a meaningful reason.

The White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake is chilling. Tomorrow I top it with fresh raspberries. The layered Baked Bars [with toasted coconut, toasted walnuts, graham cracker crumbs, and three kinds of morsels--dark, white and butterscotch] are still in the oven in a shiny silver pan.

Too tired to do the Red Velvet Cake now--the wings of my back hurt--but will tomorrow. Recipe sounds good--buttermilk and cocoa in batter, frosting rich with cream cheese.

Good night.

TCOY
  1. Boot camp in the park. Hot!
  2. Walked Sug around block twice.
  3. Lots of ice water.
  4. Nap.
  5. Tried to speak clearly and truthfully--and calmly. Not always easy. But is a way to TCOY.





3 comments:

  1. Wow. That is really a lot of work – even for someone who loves baking as much as I know that you do. But it is for a good cause and that makes it all worth it. And all the recipes sound delicious! Good luck... I hope the fundraiser is a huge success! Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice -you are making me crave sweet things!!! Let me know next time there is a fundraiser for Toni's kitchen and I'll make something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lin and Lisa. I just finished everything and loaded my last sinkful of bowls and spoons. I hope they all taste good. The bars are a bit of a disappointment--don't think I baked them properly--but the two cakes look good, so I am hopeful. Lisa, will let you know re future fundraisers........love, alice

    ReplyDelete