Search This Blog

Saturday, January 7, 2012

My Essay about Dad from Coastal Living Magazine

I finally got around to scanning it. Some of my friends and my cousin Lin looked for the December 2011/January 2012  issue of Coastal Living Magazine in stores but couldn't find it. Sis could, but then she lives in Connecticut, and closer to the coast. She said even her CVS had it. Anyway, here's the file. I hope you like it. [I'm assuming that if you click on the image, you can see bigger type. Am about to try.]

BTW:
  1. The word limit was 750. I had to cut it back from my original, but that turned out to be kind of fun, like solving a puzzle. I love the challenge of saying things colorfully in fewer words. And my words were in the hands of Stephanie, a very careful and capable editor. That helped.
  2. By the time I was revising, the essay had moved from a summer 2012 issue to the December 2011 issue. So I made sure to tuck in some memories of winter trips to the Cape with Dad and Figgy. Those two poor souls--I would drag them everywhere, from Christmas fair to lighthouse to bake sale, even in the snow. He was too old and kind and she was too young to protest.
  3. I had H., Figgy and calm, cool, wise Sis read it before it was published--Figgy because it mentions personal things about her, and Sis because I knew she could vet details about when our family started going to the Cape and what kind of fish Dad caught, etc. They okayed it. :)
  4. I originally called it The Old Man and the Sea, which I thought was pretty clever. But editors know best, I think. A lot of readers have kindly responded via email to my essay, and told me about the cherished homes by the sea that their parents got for them--so Dad's Gift probably was better, especially around Christmastime.

8 comments:

  1. The Old Man and the Sea was a bit cliche Alice and I am glad you took their advice! Mum is the one who subscribes to this periodical and she actually missed this article...Not me, I told you it spoke to my heart!
    Pleasant weekend to you and yours,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Noelle....yes, you are right re. title.... Thanks so much for the note....I hope you have a lovely weekend, too......alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alice. This was really beautiful, so expressive and heartfelt... and especially so since it was about my uncle (and aunt)! I was so looking forward to reading it. Thank you for posting it. You will always have those wonderful memories of that special relationship with your dad and so will Figgy. Of course, I have printed it out for my mom, your oldest fan. Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lin, I thank you. Please hug Aunt Edith for me. I hope to see her again soon. and you and Judi...love alice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moving...very moving! I just read your essay.

    Some years ago my wife gave me a subscription to Coastal Living magazine. We both enjoy reading it and consuming the ideas for decorating. I read the February Issue last night and enjoyed the essay on the last page before the back-cover, so I picked up our last two issues (on this cold winter day) to see if there were other essays that I had missed.

    I read your essay about your Dad, Mom and your family trips to the Cape with them. It actually brought tears to my eyes because I had similar experiences growing up in Maryland, and taking trips to the Chesapeake Bay and the Eastern Shore (ocean) beaches with my parents. Is your original (uncut) essay available for reading?

    I have bookmarked your Blog. I will definitely spend these cold winter days reading your stories. Thanks for sharing, Ed

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ed. Thanks so much for the note and for coming to my blog to write me a note. I'm glad you liked the essay. I like hearing that you had experiences like mine in Maryland; the Chesapeake Bay is so pretty. It must be lovely to stay near it. I think getting to vacation near a body of water is a really nourishing gift......thanks again, Ed. Sincerely, Alice Hurley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just thought I'd sit down and do a little reading as I ate my lunch, finish reading the magazine that has been tucked in my backpack from my trip to Texas in December to visit my daughter and son-in-law. I turned to the back of Coastal Living and started to read.

    My tears are still flowing Alice, what a beautiful story! Your father sounded like a gem. I can imagine how heartbreaking it was to watch his decline.

    My own father, a very vibrant, active man, died in November 2011 of a ruptured aortic aneurysm after lying in bed for months with a chronic lung disease. The last eight months were hard to watch.

    After reading your essay, my first thought was (after wiping my eyes and nose of course), I felt the need to leave a comment somewhere about it. I had to tell someone how I felt! I'm so glad you have a blog and I'm able to say it to you personally.

    Thank you so much for sharing it with us~

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pam, your note made my day. Thank you so much for writing. I'm happy you liked the essay. Things have been rough lately, and my Dad died a year ago this week....yes, he really was a gem. I'm so sorry to hear about you losing your Dad, too. Thanks, Pam. Best, Alice

    ReplyDelete