Search This Blog

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Turning Back the Hands of Fashion Time

The vintage Delmonico watch I bought at Speakeasy today for a song.
My Speakeasy treasure from 1955 holiday collection by Ingber: "KING SIZED foldover clutch is of luxurious O'llegro, a combination of Orion and Dynel. Bag has a highly polished brass frame and is satin lined."***

I'm so happy that Figgy works part-time weekends at Speakeasy Vintage on Bloomfield Avenue in Montclair. In high school, I was thrilled to land a typesetting job at the weekly Twin-Boro News. When I see Fig at this vintage wonderland, it seems like the perfect playground and learning spot--a dream job, really. It takes me back to the fonts and X-acto knives at the newspaper in the late 1970s. It's a chance for her to immerse herself in the things she loves, and I am so grateful for the shop and for Johnny Petrozzino, Fig's boss.

Today Figgy worked from noon to 5, and I stopped by to pick her up and study the fashion finds. I love visiting with Johnny, who co-owns Speakeasy with his brother Frankie. Today Johnny was wearing a really cool shirt from the fifties. They have an amazing eye, and great luck at unearthing incredible treasures from estate sales, vintage shows and other digs. This afternoon, I tried on a beautiful, soft, lined, flower-bud-strewn 1950s white cardigan but it was too small. I lusted after a gold handbag. And I admired elegant formal dresses that belonged to a famous designer.

And see my faux-fur foldover clutch, shown above? It has a little satin change purse attached by a cord.....my Mom had that same mini purse, though not the big clutch....I adore this handbag.....the satin lining is impeccable and luxe and the price was $34. Ever since I bought it in November, people have stopped me to say they love it.

Johnny and Frankie even have a Request Book, where they'll make notes of something vintage you may have a hankering for. For instance, Johnny will keep an eye out for larger-size ladies' sweaters for me.

I can't seem to set the watch that I bought--but I knew that going in, and the beautiful band fits my wrist and the sparkly style makes me happy. I don't care if it keeps time. That's fashion.

I hope you'll check it out: 465 Bloomfield Avenue, right above Johari, the lingerie store. You have to ring a buzzer to get up the stairs--it's a hidden pleasure, like a real speakeasy. Phone: 973.783.4911. Call for store hours.

***Thanks to www.bagladyemporium.com, where I found a photo and description of my bag. [But I actually took my own photo above.]

TCOY
  1. Went to 8 A.M. yoga class with my friend Diane! Nice!
  2. Walked Sug around block once.
  3. This will sound weird, but made peanut butter pie and a jar of hot fudge sauce. H. and Fig were both out working and left to my own devices, I found it comforting to make this. I froze the PB pie squares for future and the hot fudge is in a jar in the fridge.
  4. Did a load of delicate wash with Woolite.
  5. Nap.
  6. Movie!!!! H. and I saw "The Artist," and it was wonderful.





No comments:

Post a Comment