Search This Blog

Saturday, February 11, 2012

In Search of a Book Group Dessert

Our group's first meeting is tomorrow @ 5:30 P.M.
I belonged to a book group here in Montclair for years--six women, we were, mothers all. [One of us, Julie, became a mother for the first time in the course of our book group, and we even had a small baby shower/meeting one Sunday, for which I made carrot cupcakes with fluffy cream-cheese frosting. Figuring that carrots would be good for baby and mom.]

The group eventually dissolved, but now a new one is forming [a group of 10 women, including Julie, whose first baby is in second grade and was followed by a little brother], and our first book is American Dervish, pictured. I haven't quite finished it, but am finding it interesting, the story of a Muslim boy growing up in the Midwest. Since Figgy is in Boston this weekend with her uncle and cousin, I have uninterrupted reading time--hope to finish by tomorrow. Detailed references to the Quran and its messages are eye-opening for me. I've never read that holy book [and I call it that with due respect].

I also have to make a dessert. We try to do foods that go with the book's theme. Anne usually makes a cocktail that fits in, too. I was glad when I came to page 61, which describes the tea that the young man's Pakistani Auntie, Mina, makes. It's steeped with cardamom, cinnamon, clove and ginger and stirred with whole milk and this is of course the recipe for chai tea. So I searched epicurious.com for chai desserts, and up popped a chocolate cake with a cinnamon-cream filling and chai-flavored dark chocolate glaze. I hope to make it tomorrow, if the stars are in their courses.

Good night.

TCOY
  1. Went to Joe's 8 A.M. yoga class with my friend Diane. I really like what Joe has to say, though the poses felt hard for me today. My body was resisting, and tired.
  2. Went to the Cozy End, a diner in town, to take out dinner. Passed up the chicken and bacon club sandwich with fries, which is very good there, and appealing on a gray, wintry day. Got the grilled chicken breast broiled with blue cheese and served with steamed broccoli. Yum.
  3. Curled up and read.
  4. Talked to Sis.
  5. Had a cuppa chai tea [from a Twinings chai teabag, much quicker than Auntie Mina's way].

No comments:

Post a Comment