Search This Blog

Thursday, February 23, 2012

A Little Nip of Brandy on My Flight

No, not really brandy the drink. No. Writing this from airport food court in Cleveland. Heading to Door County, Wisconsin to "Tour the Door" on a trip with other journalists. I'm supposed to snowshoe in a nature preserve, and I love nature preserves. Taste dried cherries, take a sleigh ride, go to a fish boil. I will report back.

On security line at Newark Airport this morning, got to chatting with the nice blonde woman on line behind me. I was trying to figure out if she was a frequent traveler who could answer my question. I didn't want to hold up the long morning line. Some travelers were looking stressed, and talking stressed [as in, That line over there is moving twice as fast as ours, said while looking at wristwatch].

Do you know, do I have to take my laptop out of its case? I asked.
Excuse me, do you have to take a laptop out of its case? she called over to the guard.
No. 
Oh, thank you, I said. I appreciate it.
Oh, no problem. I feel so free, not traveling with my kids. 
How old are they?
Four and six.
Oh, our daughter is a teenager. She's sixteen.
How's that?

And so our conversation went, both of us remembering our teen years, what kids go through, how it is. The woman kindly got me three plastic bins [Oh, these are for you, she said. Don't you need one for your jacket?]

Her kindness was the bridge that set us to talking. She had long hair, open-toe shoes, a pretty orange silk scarf knotted around her neck. I told her I liked her scarf.

It wasn't until we parted that I asked her name, and she mine. Brandy. What a perfect name for a warm person.

Thank you, Brandy.

P.S. I sent my laptop through in its neoprene Lilly Pulitzer case. Whose laptop is that? the guard asked. She said they had to run it through on the conveyor belt again. Brandy mused that it could have been because I had the power cords in the outer pocket. More to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment