Search This Blog

Monday, February 11, 2013

Sweet Retreat

I'm trying something new--skipping sugar but allowing one "sweet day" a week. I'm watching to see how this change affects my energy level, whether it prevents mood spikes and if it helps ease self-loathing, and feelings of deflation and doubt. I read in Weight Watchers Magazine that eating sugar just makes your brain want more and more of it.

I started last Thursday. This Thursday, Valentine's Day, is my planned sweet day. I do not intend to skip chocolate on February 14!

I do feel better and it does simplify life. I'm not scrambling frantically through cabinets, like a crack addict. At Starbucks, CVS and elsewhere, I've ruled out sweet things and chocolate. So it was no to the Oreos on sale, the trail mix with M&Ms in it, the Kit Kat bar. And it was no without agony, or strings attached. So far, so good.

Good night.

TCOY
  1. Boot camp in the dome. We did 75 push-ups today!
  2. Nap.
  3. Healthy meals.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! SEVENTY-FIVE PUSH-UPS!!!!!!

    That is the most awesome thing.

    Excellent on the sugar thing. It really works for me, though I have an enormous psychological pull towards it, when I cut it out it's still easier to pass it by (especially less than excellent or beautiful chocolate). Planning ahead, knowing you can have it, just not now, is also something that works for me.

    You rock! You are figuring out what works for you - making a plan, then collecting the feedback on yourself. Like being a scientist and studying yourself. Madame Curie in New Jersey. Keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nan, thank you so much, as always, for your support and also for calling me Madame Curie. Did you know that both of my parents were chemists, and that is how they met, carpooling from NYC to their work? love alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go, Alice! It seems to be true about the sugar thing for me, too. I am proud of you; it's hard to change. Love, Linny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nan, p.s., i forgot to say that our Patsy, boot camp leader, had us do the push-ups as five sets of 15, with other moves in between. now she challenged us to try doing 100 push-ups and 100 dips on our own on tuesdays and thursdays, when we don't have boot camp....10 sets of 10 each. Lin, thank you.....love alice

    ReplyDelete