Search This Blog

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Chattanooga Choo Choo


A wall covered with old vinyl records @ Sugar's Downtown.
Hi from Doubletree Hilton in downtown Chattanooga. So excited that I can read a little, wash my face, brush my teeth and get a good night's sleep. Because tomorrow pickup is at 7 A.M. for this Tennessee press trip. We'll be busy all day making stops at outdoor and indoor places. Will report back.

I was so happy to be home last night, even for only 12 hours. In that time, H. and I walked Puff around the block and saw the moon; I threw in, dried and folded a load of wash; we went out to Egans on Walnut Street for drinks and light food; and of course, got to see my Figgy [and her friends, who are practically appendages at this stage of her life]. Several young men and women were over at our house last night, sitting by the backyard fire pit. Then H. and Sug drove me to the airport this morning.

Tonight we had dinner at Sugar's Downtown. We saw the smokers in the back room, where they slow-cook brisket, ribs, chicken and pork using red oak wood from Tennessee. Best part of the meal next to the tender pulled pork: sausage pizza cooked in a wood-burning oven. The crust was so good, soft but smoky. The oven is 1000 degrees and the pizza cooks in 30 to 40 seconds, said Cal Haygood, the general manager. And the banana pudding finale [you know, with Nilla wafers and fluffy whipped cream] was homey.

I also liked dining with writers from Michigan, Minnesota, New York, D.C. and Georgia. Kathy from Georgia was giving me tips on cooking cornbread in a seasoned cast-iron skillet. She's a live wire and was also talking about White Lily flour [which I've bought in Montclair]; an actual banana pudding festival; barbecue sauces; and more. I told her that Ina Garten's cornbread is really good and she said she loves Ina, but she doubts it. Our war is on ;) True, Kathy makes hers with a lot of oil and Ina's calls for a lot of butter.

On that comfort note, good night.


No comments:

Post a Comment