Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

9-Veggie Dinner

My mother-in-law, Mary, made this quinoa salad when we were up in Maine. She whips up lots of healthy, delicious foods--H. remembers the world's best banana bread from his boyhood, and Mary makes tasty red cabbage, pasta salad, salad dressing and moist, sweet apple cake made with grated apple. 

Did you try that quinoa Grandma made? It was poppin'! Figgy said that night at the Lobster Pound. Being vegan, she was into the quinoa. I was too busy dipping my succulent lobster in melted butter to even try it.

But I made it today. And it really was poppin'. It also felt therapeutic to stand in the kitchen chopping veggies and herbs, toasting nuts, squeezing a lemon.

Mary added a little more than this link from savvyvegetarian.com calls for. So I used:

steamed:
1 cup petite frozen peas
1 cup+ fresh green beans, cut into pieces
1 yellow pepper, seeded and sliced
about 12 baby carrots, sliced
1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise, sliced

chopped and folded in, uncooked:
1/2 English cucumber
1 tomato H. grew
lots of chopped cilantro
several chopped scallions
1/2 red onion, chopped
plus some toasted walnuts and for the dressing, juice of one lemon

Oh rats! Mary used black olives, too, and a bought a can at Whole Foods, but forgot to add them.

Anyway, it was delicious. And it made a heaping platter of quinoa salad, more left for tomorrow.

Good night. I get by with a little help from my friends--and my family. I'm so thankful for them.

TCOY 
  1. Walked Sug around block.
  2. Made that quinoa.
  3. Private Benjamin.
  4. Tried to stay calm in face of teen mood swings.

No comments:

Post a Comment