Search This Blog

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Rolling: "Salinger"

Fascinating film.
Elly and I loved this close look at the life of J.D. Salinger, from the dark World War II experiences that shaped him to his fascination with much younger women, including a 14-year-old he met in Florida when he was 30.

Good:
  • Interview with the woman who was that 14-year-old. A lot of footage.
  • Insights from Salinger's daughter, Margaret/Peggy, in clips from "Today."
  • The look at how he took his work so seriously, donning a canvas jumpsuit [creepy/war-camp like] and stayed in the cabin on the property for days at a time. The babysitter [also featured] says his wife wasn't allowed to bother him for very long periods of time.  
  • Long chats with Joyce Maynard, the college student/writer who moved in with him after he and his wife divorced. 
  • Perspective from a whole stable of authors, including Gore Vidal and Tom Wolfe.
  • View of Cornish, NH, where the author lived in seclusion--and of the covered bridge there.
TCOY
  1. I did spend almost two hours organizing my closet and hanging everything up. I put all my Tory Burch sweaters together, all my Lilly Pulitzer pinks. Feels good. Truth be told, I should never need to buy another article of clothing or accessory again, except shoes, because I wear those down. If only styles/colors/hems didn't change so often.
  2. Talked to my friend Celia.
  3. Elly treated me to a glass of white wine, farm cheese and crisp bread at one of the tables in front of Amanti Vino on Church Street. A young man sat on a bench playing guitar; he was good. Especially at "Welcome Back," the theme song from "Welcome Back, Kotter." Took me back to the 1970s, when I'd watch that show with Dad in the little room. [That's what we called our TV room--the little room.]
  4. Walked Sug around block under starlit sky.


No comments:

Post a Comment