Search This Blog

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Hoboken

H. and I had to get Punch from school at 2 p.m. for an appt. with two psychologists in Hoboken. We weren't far from the riverfront and that was pretty. So was the stately old architecture. Punchy pulled me onto a new playground for a while and later, we had nice thin-crust pizza at Grimaldi's [no wait at 4:30 p.m. on a Thursday]. 

Punch and I also had meatballs and marinara--H. had spotted a huge silver baking sheet of meatballs cooling, row upon perfect row. Other Italian punctuation marks--H.'s tiny white cup of espresso with Sambuca from the bar to pour in and what was perhaps the world's finest cannoli, split three ways. The filling was rich and creamy, the shell perfectly crisp; shattered nicely under the dessert spoon, unlike some rubbery wannabes. 

On the way home, crystal-clear view of glittery NYC skyline.

Good night to you.

P.S. My Italian grandpa, Charles Garbarini, was born in Hoboken and then returned to Italy as a boy, I believe. Wish I knew the address. Maybe Sis knows. Miss Dad. 

TCOY
1. Remembering to be present and stay centered, as best I can. I can only change me.
2. Shared a green salad; ate a fresh orange.
3. Rested.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Mary! I would love to know other go-to spots there! Happy new year. Love Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alice!

    I must confess...I've been peeking at your daily blog for months now. Like you, I have also trekked to Hoboken to see no one other than Dr. Antonio Burr! In fact, we're scheduled to see him again next month.

    Day to day life has not been easy with the dynamic duo but I am inspired by your focus and energy.

    May God guide you and bless you and Dan on your journey with Punch.

    Chris McCann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris! Nice to hear from you. What dynamic duo? Foster children? Let me know!
    Sending all good wishes. Alice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alice,

    Yes, Kurt and I have been foster parents for several years. We have had Miguel, age 3 1/2, for most of his life. We have had his sister Jessica, age 6 1/2, for almost two years. It has been a heck of a ride!

    We are scheduled for another court hearing on March 17th. We are hoping for the luck of the Irish. The case will be four years old in April...all the children were removed in October 2011...reunited with their parents in late October 2012...removed again in March 2013. Their mother, an undocumented Mexican immigrant, had her sixth child in July. She has custody of him and the state hopes to reunite her with Jessica and Miguel. She does not work. She never sent her children to school. It is a sad case. Naturally, the children are close to us and we are very attached to them.

    You can send me an e-mail @ ChristinaKalenak@gmail.com.

    Best,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris, wow! I will email you. You and Kurt are making a remarkable difference in two remarkable lives. I too pray for the luck of the Irish for you all on March 17. I will be in touch. Love Alice

    ReplyDelete