Search This Blog

Friday, February 27, 2015

Something Borrowed: Superseed Peanut Butter Cups

Please follow this LINK.
I've long had a love affair with Reese's Peanut Butter Cups--though one I try to refrain from pursuing. My friend Irene gave me an eight-pack for my birthday once and I was thrilled! As an adult, I've joked with H. and Figgy that I'd love a RPBC as large as a round tabletop.

So when Figgy came home for a visit the other day, and I was hunting for a vegan treat to make her, I happily landed on this.

Thank you, Cassie Johnston and foodrepublic.com!! I put my ingredient notes in pink.

The copy I copied here: 
Healthy peanut butter cups? Yup! Not only do they exist, but you can make them at home in about 15 minutes. For the peanut butter filling, I like to mix in a combo of raw superseeds—not only do they up the nutritional profile of these candies by a ton, but they also add a really satisfying crunch!
Servings:12 cups

Ingredients

6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped [I use 3 sections of a 9.7 oz. bar Scharffen Berger Semisweet Dark Chocolate]
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/4 cup peanut butter, natural and unsweetened [Skippy Natural Super Chunk]
1 tablespoon honey [mine is from a jarful made by bees at the Iris Gardens in town]
1 tablespoon chia seeds [didn't use]
1 tablespoon hemp seeds [didn't use]
1 tablespoon flax seeds [I have a box of Carrington Farms Flax Paks of flax seeds; each weighs .4 oz. and I use one packet]
Directions:  
  1. In a microwave-safe bowl, or in the top part of a double boiler over medium heat, place the dark chocolate and coconut oil. 
  2. Heat the mixture in the microwave on high for about a minute, or in the double boiler, until melted and smooth. [Use microwave, just watch carefully so it doesn't burn.]
  3. Pour about 1 teaspoon of the chocolate mixture into each of cup of a 12-cup mini muffin tin. 
  4. Place the tin the freezer to solidify the chocolate, about 3 minutes.
  5. Meanwhile, mix together the peanut butter, honey and seeds in a small bowl.
  6. Remove the tin from the freezer and dollop about 1 teaspoon of the peanut butter mixture on top of the hardened chocolate in each cup, spreading with a spoon to flatten.
  7. Top each cup with the remaining chocolate until the peanut butter is covered.
  8. Return the tin to the freezer until the chocolate is solid, about 10 minutes.
  9. Remove from the tin by placing a knife between the edge of the peanut butter cup and the edge of the tin until the peanut butter cup pops out.
  10. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
TCOY
  1. Boot camp in dome.
  2. Hot bath with fizzy ball Figgy and my goddaughter, Florida Orange, gave me for my bday.
  3. Caught up over lunch with my dear friend Pats.
  4. Booked blow-dry for 7:15 tonight. Long overdue! And Montclair Moxie Blow Dry & Beauty Bar, open from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. today, sells a pack of 5 for $100. Not as good as my beloved Vamp, but I figured I should try to save money.


No comments:

Post a Comment