Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Fireworks!

Punchy took this photo.

Best fireworks I've ever seen, tonight at Brookdale Park. The bursts of color, sound and light were like gifts being unwrapped in the summer night sky. Red and green like Christmas morning, golden palm tree shapes like on the Florida Keys. Bug spray, lawn chairs, glow wands. Parents, grandparents, babies who fell asleep in their carriages despite the noise. Little Punch, head back, looking up to the sky, to a thousand bright possibilities. I thank my friend Jane for inviting us to go.

TCOY
1. Boot camp in park, plus walked a lot. Hit 16,368 steps on my fitbit today.
2. Steamed a big pot of kale and roasted sweet potatoes. Wish I could say I loved the kale but that would be lying.

4 comments:

  1. Wow. 16,000+ steps is a lot! And plain kale leaves a lot to be desired, but good to try. Hang in there.

    Nan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, Nan. It was so many steps bc of boot camp and bc H. parked sooooo far from the fireworks since it was congested around the park. I was exhausted. Miss you and hope summer is good. Alice xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alice: try baby kale in a salad. Good tip is to massage it with a little olive oil and let it sit for a bit before eating. Softens it As for greens, I prefer chard; it's a little softer. and I prefer sauteeing it in a little olive oil with garlic and then finishing it with a light simmer in a little chicken broth. More softening! I've really come to like greens by fooling around with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kim. Thanks! The funny part is, it was chard, not kale. I have cooked chard before and liked it, with garlic and oil. But this time I steamed first and then sauteed and it was badddddd. I hate to waste my time and money and also my efforts to eat right. I love baby kale in salads. Thanks for the hints. Greens can be tricky. xo Alice

    ReplyDelete