Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

A Walk on Washington Street in Hoboken

Found this photo online--that's Dennis Shah and the wallpapers.
Temo at left, Dennis at right; note Pineapple wallpaper. Love it.
Busy day, so will do star list.
*Hit the wall. Drove to Hoboken to see Studio Printworks and talk to the execs [Temo and Dennis] with my editor, Amy. Located in red brick mill building on Harrison Street--originally the My-T-Fine Pudding building! Writing about the beautiful hand-screened wallpapers they do. Lovely, rich.
*Java pour. Didn't want to leave without checking out some hot spots. Asked Dennis about great local coffee places and he said yes, over near Washington Street and 11th Street. Siri took me there. The place was called bwè. Was trying to avoid sugar but soon regretted not getting the iced mocha. It looked so good. They use beans from Haiti and also sell vegan cookies and bars. I don't know why, but I would consider driving back for that mocha. I saw a pretty woman in a white tank top walking with one. The plastic cup looked, you know, cold and shaken and mocha-rich. Hoboken is about a 30-minute ride from here.
*Gossamer chains. The Golden Carrot has beautiful jewelry. Superfine chains, delicate rings, sparkly posts. Wanted some. Of course, the more mochas and donuts consumed, the less likely that any of those slender chains would fit around my neck.
*Donuts under glass. Schnackenberg's Luncheonette had mascarpone-filled donuts, coconut donuts, dreamy donuts. Tried to resist but they make them there. Got one for $1.34. The one cake donut I got tasted a bit bready but I have no doubt there are winners there. The presentation alone in the glass case is worth $1.34.
*My Grandpa might have been here. Dad's dad was born in Italy, I think, but raised in Hoboken. His parents died--I'm not sure how old my grandpa was--and so he was sent back to Italy to be raised by family. That's what Sis confirmed today. Then he returned to the U.S. later on the same boat as Rosie, who would soon be his wife. Anyway, Giorgio's, this very old Italian bakery on Washington Street, made me think of him and wonder if he had ever been there. The lady at the counter said it had been there maybe 100 years. But my grandfather was born in the late 1800s, so maybe it was after his time and besides, I have no idea if his family had money for bakery treats. Sadly, I never met him. Still, liked seeing pignoli cookies, rainbow cookies and cannolis and thinking of him as a boy.

Must sleep. Sweet dreams.

TCOY
1. Went to 8 a.m. yoga and meditation class. Would like to go every Tuesday.
2. Private Benjamin. Helpful.



No comments:

Post a Comment