Search This Blog

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Book Group Report

Love my time with these friends. Jeanne brought her signature, stepped-up green salad, Julie a tray of delicious hot appetizers, Anne supplied chips and guacamole--and Karen made classic banana pudding with meringue top [she even made the vanilla wafers from scratch]. It's Southern, she said, a nod to Harper Lee. I cleaned the house for hours and served baked sweet and white potatoes and Ina's lemon chicken with pan-browned croutons.

And H. took Punch out to a movie.

I used a mix of my parents' wedding china and ours, and we had wine and ice water. Since Anne is gluten- and dairy-free, I added a bowl of organic raspberries and some dark chocolate dipped Oreos. Ooops just realized that Oreos are vegan but might not be gluten-free?

Oh, the book? We read Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee. We talked about how Jean Louise idolized Atticus; the relationship between Scout and Calpurnia; how black women must feel raising white children; and more. I played a little bit of the audio recording of the book, read by Reese Witherspoon. And along with a pot of chamomile tea, I served a pitcher of Stumptown iced coffee, with a wink to the "coffee" for friends and neighbors that Jean Louise's aunt holds at home in honor of her niece.

Good night. Not proud of losing my temper this morning.

TCOY
1. It felt good to clean and throw stuff out. To polish wood, clean mantel, mop floor.
2. Seeing my friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment