Search This Blog

Monday, September 28, 2015

The Chickpea Flour Cookbook: Don't Go Off-Trail


I should be having Punchy get into the bathtub, but just want to jot a quick review of this cookbook.

I received a press copy. The book contains lots of promising recipes. But right out of the box, I made a substitution and the Chocolate Fudge Saucepan Brownies came out more like a lumpy brownie pudding. My bad. The author has directions on how to make the brownies vegan, and Figgy came home tonight. I was supposed to replace the two eggs with 2 psyllium "eggs" [recipe in book] and use 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil in place of the stick of unsalted butter. And then there is 1/3 cup of chickpea flour, which I happened to have on hand.

In the past, I've had success swapping in applesauce in place of eggs--and I didn't have ingredients to make the mock eggs. But this time, I may have spooned in a little too much homemade applesauce. I think I generally add one of those little half-cup containers in place of one egg. I fear I also mismeasured the coconut oil, using too much.

Well, it's more of a brownie pudding, I told the girls. It's tasty, Figgy said, spooning into the still warm pan. And even brownie-lover Punchy had a monkey dish full with a glass of cold milk. I love it and I hate it, she said. It looks like black cranberries.

Report from the dark side: I still recommend this cookbook. I bet this recipe would be great as written by the author, with butter and eggs. And I'm going to try some other recipes, too.

Good night.


No comments:

Post a Comment