Search This Blog

Saturday, November 7, 2015

"I Baptize You in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit"

As Father Marc scoops some water over Punchy's head,
godmother Figgy holds her little sister's soft brown hair back.
Left to right: Father Marc, Florida Orange, Figgy, Punchy, godfather Michael Mernin,
his daughter, Nikki, H., me and Mrs. Regina Sammon,
who oversees religious education at the parish. 
The godparents flank Punchy.
Today was a lovely day, even though I jumped to the alarm with a splitting, exhausted headache at 6:30 a.m., because H. and I had been up late cleaning and cooking. I woke up in the middle of a dream about being in Hawaii, picking beautiful red and white flowers that I could buy and fly home and plant in my garden. I had stepped away and someone had pillaged some, thinking they were up for grabs. But some were still left.

I think I'll do some bullets, since tomorrow is another early morning, with soccer practice at 9:30 a.m., immediately followed by Mass at 10:30. I'm glad I prepaid for a restorative yoga class from 12:45 to 2 p.m.
  • H. made excellent coffee [see above, ordered from Farmigo, that community-farm service I've mentioned before], and we had the makings for mimosas. We drank the coffee from our china cups and saucers and that made it taste even more delicious. We sipped the mimosas from mixed and matched flutes and glasses.
  • I made two quiches. I like to make my own crusts, but this time used nice buttery ones, also from Farmigo. And for the second time, I used this recipe from epicurious.com for Zucchini, Bacon and Gruyère Quiche. People seemed to like it a lot. I used Jarlsberg Lite. I also made a glazed spiral-cut ham. I put it in the oven at 7, before the 8:15 Mass.
  • We ordered 2 dozen smallish Parkerhouse rolls from the old Marlboro Inn Bake Shoppe on Grove Street. These are buttery, tender and excellent, and only $4.80 per dozen--a favorite we have ordered for many holidays and special occasions, since Figgy was a baby.
  • I bought two cakes from Fairway--we missed the 48-hour cutoff to order a Baptism sheet cake--and the bakery guy wrote WE LOVE ALEXA on one of them. Since Figgy is vegan, we put out some hummus and bagels and tofu spread and I made these Superseed Peanut Butter Cups again. They are so easy, and my friends Moey and Claire, plus Figgy and Florida Orange, really liked them. I just make sure to use dark chocolate without milk or milk solids in it. For the filling, I like a mix of chunky peanut butter, smooth Sunbutter [made from sunflower seeds], honey from the Presby Memorial Iris Gardens and 1 packet of flax seeds [I didn't have the other seeds]. The cups are so quick to make with a nonstick mini muffin pan.
  • Punchy wore a dress that was Figgy's when she was little. It looked lovely. She wore white tights, silver shoes from her Mimi and a cream hairband with cream flowers. Her godmommy, Figgy, wore a pretty, long cream lace dress and high taupe pumps. Her godfather, Michael Mernin, a close friend of ours, wore a nice suit and a striped "Mad Men" thin tie.
  • The priest was Father Marc, and he was very good. Four other children who were not babies [the typical christening age] were also baptized at the early Mass. Among them were two raven-haired Hindu sisters, ages 7 and 3, who looked absolutely adorable in white dresses, white fur capes as thick as snow and sparkly silver brooches.
  • I did take a bath and had gotten my hair blown out, but did not have--or make--time to polish my nails, wash my face with special seaweed cleanser or apply makeup.
  • I bought a lovely bunch of red-edged yellow sweetheart roses at ShopRite for $5.99 and placed them in a cut crystal vase that belonged to my parents.
  • Punch was a little nervous beforehand, but very happy and proud after. At home, she quickly spilled a bowl of cereal and milk on her pretty dress and had to change.
  • H. and I texted photos to Punchy's Mimi [who couldn't come because she was in California] and Punchy's Mom. The parents listed by full name on the Baptism certificate are Punchy's birth parents, Talia C. and Christopher M.
  • Sis was here--and shown in my Facebook and Instagram photos. And Moey. And Elly, the Roses, Claire, Obie and Dewane, Don and Chaiya, Mary from across the street. It was a lovely, lovely day. And a happy occasion. Bless this child. I think there is some symbolism in the red and white Hawaiian flowers I dreamt about planting in my garden. Faith: Buds and blooms of faith and bright beauty. Things that must be nurtured, watered and fed. Things that will grow in the sun of God's love. If we believe they will.
Good night to you.

TCOY
  1. Hot bath.
  2. H. napped right after the party and then he took Punchy to her 3 p.m. soccer game and I napped.
  3. H. and I walked Sug down to the Hobbit Houses this evening.
  4. Enjoyed squeezing my Figgy's hand.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful day for all! Congratulations to Punchy.

    Love, Lin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim and Lin. Thank you! It felt like a really meaningful day. xo Alice

    ReplyDelete