Search This Blog

Saturday, November 21, 2015

Saturday Night Slouch on the Couch

Figgy took Punchy into the city on the bus today.
Here they are at the bus stop on our corner.

Sometimes, I think I like to take photos of these girls together so they have snapshots, remembrances, records--so we all do. Other times, like when I look at this one, I see little Punch as a marvelous tonic for Figgy, a good luck charm, a fresh ticket to life. And I like to look into their faces.

Fig slept over here last night and was heading back to the city, work in Brooklyn at 5. H. was working at a party in Connecticut [with our car]. Punch, Fig and Florida Orange have been talking for a while about having Punch come over to the apartment to visit, but between school, her soccer season and her visits to Mimi, it was hard to find a date. This afternoon presented itself. Fig would take her in on the 11:42 a.m., and I would hop on the bus a few hours later to get her back.

They had fun, but unfortunately, Punchy acted out a bit in the apartment. I think she was a little tired from the week. But by the end of the evening, she was better. In the Port Authority, on the long line waiting for our delayed 5:30 bus back to Montclair, she drew pictures for many of the people. Whatever they wanted: Hearts, stars, a bus, a teddy bear. She walked up to each, asked the person's name and what drawing they would like. This reminded me of H. writing 60-Second Novels, starting on the sidewalk of Michigan Avenue in Chicago, 1983. Both bravely approaching perfect strangers and creating art for them. Confidently and capably.

Now, it's either keep writing or Saturday Night Slouch on the Couch. H. and I are watching "Bullitt," a Steve McQueen thriller from 1968.

Good night to you.

TCOY
  1. Actually did my makeup.
  2. Good dental care.
  3. Support group!
  4. Stayed calm.
  5. Watched a Miss Marple movie this afternoon.
  6. Walked a little.
  7. Loved my NYC dose. Within minutes, I inhaled the scent of hot pretzels from a cart and warm cinnamon and sugar outside the beloved Little Pie Company on 43rd Street  [a block from Figgy's apt.]

No comments:

Post a Comment