Search This Blog

Friday, August 26, 2016

Big Screen: Summer Flicks

"Pete's Dragon" is enchanting. But bring your suspension of disbelief.
I'm behind on my movie reports. Many of them are kids' movies, since Punchy, age 9, is in our midst. On a scale of 1 to 10:
  1. Five popcorn kernels. The BFG. In the thick of the heat wave, Punchy and I saw this at the AMC Dine-in Theater. Directed by Steven Spielberg, it offers a magical view through a child's eyes, as his "E.T." did. Good escapism, and I like the way the Big Friendly Giant talks, and creates dreams.
  2. Seven popcorn kernels. Pete's Dragon. Robert Redford, now 80, co-stars. Again, it's a magical view of childhood, and of a child's saving hero. Bryce Dallas Howard [daughter of Ron Howard] is excellent. A treat to see Redford at this age; quite a storyteller. It's based on a classic book, though I've never read it.
  3. Nine popcorn kernels. Southside with You. Moey and I just saw this today. It captures Michelle Robinson and Barack Obama's first date in Chicago. That's the whole movie. We loved it. Parker Sawyers is perfectly cast as young Barack; he really looks like him. The love story is so sweet--and the glimpse into the past of two inspiring public figures. Michelle's self-confidence is remarkable; Barack is charming and candid.
  4. Three popcorn kernels.  Jason Bourne. H. wanted to see this; I didn't, but went along. It's not my cup of tea. But: Tommy Lee Jones as CIA Director Robert Dewey was outstanding. Like Redford in "Pete's Dragon" TLJ is showing his age at 70--the camera zoomed in on every bag and craggy line. I liked that. Actresses can't age like that onscreen. Not fair, because it's the truth.
  5. Eight popcorn kernels.  Don't Think Twice. Totally enjoyable movie about an improv group. When one makes it into the big time [equivalent of "Saturday Night Live"], the rest struggle to get a piece of the pie.
  6. Seven popcorn kernels. Finding Dory. Had to see this sequel to Nemo, with the adorable voices of Albert Brooks and Ellen DeGeneres. Now I see Diane Keaton did a voice; I missed it.
  7. Eight popcorn kernels. The Secret Life of Pets. Animated. Fun! Ever since seeing it, I pay more attention to my dog Sugar's movements and the way she communicates with us--and the cats next door.
  8. Seven popcorn kernels. The Lobster. This would have been late spring or early summer but it was hard to forget. The description: In a dystopian society, single people must find a mate within 45 days or be transformed into an animal of their choice. Quirky and fascinating.The only problem was it ran on too long. H. was ready to walk out because he got so antsy.
Tell me! What have you seen? I may have forgotten to list some.

Sweet dreams.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh...some on here I def want to see. You've inspired me; I'm going to post mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim. I think I may have seen more that I have forgotten! Southside with You is so great. I was thinking M would really like it since she lives in Chicago. What is Southside like now? I haven't been to Chicago in years and don't know if I went there.

    ReplyDelete