Search This Blog

Monday, August 29, 2016

What We've Done in 17 Hours on the Cape

Well, about 9 hours were spent sleeping--and then Punchy and I slipped out and let H. doze later. We already hit a lot of our sweet spots since we crossed the Bourne Bridge over the Cape Cod Canal last night:
  1. Hole in One Donuts. We sat at the counter on those old round stools. Punchy ate part of a sugar donut and 1/4 of my delicious toasted everything bagel w scallion cream cheese. This place is so popular; I clearly recall the sour cream, honey-dipped cake donut, and the nice gent next to me had one. But the bagel was really good! They have assorted cream cheeses. We had iced coffee. The young waitress said that one day this summer, the line went out the door and stretched all the way to Route 6. Yes, that's how popular the hand-cut jelly sticks, toasted coconut donuts and other treats are. We also bought a bag of Four Sisters granola pieces in Snappy Ginger. Punchy recalled that both she and Sug liked it. [Like many dogs, Sug likes ginger and cinnamon.]
  2. Rite & Bob's house! Our dear old friends are gone, but their nephew and his family have moved into the house. We stopped by and introduced ourselves, and found out where R & B are buried. Want to put flowers on the grave.
  3. Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary! Yay, we were back at the Audubon, though it was muggy and a little hot. It was time to renew our annual family membership [$65], which is among the most important money I spend all year. We saw tiny, slimy frogs on the lily pads, full-size turtles on the raft and tree trunk and a box of newly hatched turtles that two naturalists were about to release into the marsh. Inside, we saw Bubbles, the rare blue lobster, and a little turtle who swam so fast from bottom to top of tank, showboating for us. I also bought a new copy of Cape Cod by Henry David Thoreau. I have a copy somewhere, but not with me. It will be good reading when I'm alone for a couple days. Plus, as an Audubon member, you get 10% off all gift shop purchases. I got Moey a bday card, too, and a surprise for Sis.
  4. The post office in North Eastham. Oh, memories of going there with my Mom when we stayed three weeks that one summer. I mailed the surprise to Sis and the card to Moey. I felt very efficient.
  5. The general store next to the P.O. For organic milk, a gallon of water, hummus and baby carrots. 
  6. Egg stand. A sign on Route 6 West says FRESH EGGS and so we turned back and went out of our way to go there. Mayer's Layers, the business was called, and a simple blue cooler holds the eggs; $4 per carton. Put the money in the coffee can in the cooler.
  7. Hot Chocolate Sparrow. And now we are here w. H., who has to hand in an article. I have to do a little work, too. Punch got the artichoke sandwich that she and our friend Anne like so much. I told her she could play with my phone while we work, but that device can be the devil in disguise. I have to keep my eyes open.
Gotta go. H. wants me to take a look at his piece before he hands it in.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun trip. I would have loved the donuts. We have a great individually owned donut shop here called Gourmet Donuts. He sells out most days. But I try hard to stay away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Back Porch Writer! It is fun. Thank you for checking in! Hope you have had a good summer!

      Delete